Looking for a musical piece

April 17, 2021, 12:29 AM · In the introduction to this video tutorial, a musical piece is performed, the name of which, unfortunately, is not specified.
Who knows, please tell me the name of this piece.

Replies (10)

April 17, 2021, 1:22 AM · The title is displayed in Russian at 0:23. I don't recognize the piece myself.
April 17, 2021, 2:07 AM · I know Russian, but the title of the piece is not indicated there.
Edited: April 17, 2021, 3:18 AM · It's the Zimbalist/Rimsky Korsakov Golden Cockerel Fantasy.

April 17, 2021, 3:30 AM · Thank you so much, Christian.
April 17, 2021, 8:36 AM · Christian - you knew that? Or is there a piece of software we should all be introduced to...

[Well done!]

Edited: April 17, 2021, 8:47 AM · ... and what a contrast in performance. Labko is superb... ;)

I can't find anything about him - anyone have info?

Edited: April 17, 2021, 10:05 PM · I recognized the piece immediately, thanks to listening to the recording I posted frequently.

It looks like Labko died a few years ago. He appears to have studied with Lev Tseitlin in Moscow. He was the concertmaster for the Berlin Radio Orchestra (One of the two) for many years.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but he recorded Medtner's 3 violin sonatas with Evegeny Svetlanov. They are quite charming and lyrical - My experience was of needing to listen a good number of times before Medtner's language suddenly clicked for me, but I think they are worth the exploration. Unfortunately, that seems to be just about his entire legacy released on CD (Also a vivaldi concerto on viola d'amore), so the youtube channel is quite the treasure trove. Also, in regards to the conversations about Spohr in recent threads, there is a totally awesome rendition of a Spohr violin duo that to me is right on par with the Oistrakhs.

He seems to have gone quite under the radar in the Soviet Union (probably due to an embarrassment of musical riches); I asked my teacher about him and she was not familiar (although she is quite younger). I'm always interested in more sources about his life, but the internet is pretty scant on info. He is totally inspiring.

April 17, 2021, 3:04 PM · Thanks Christian. How daunting - perhaps he really didn't like solo performing. Berlin Radio Orchestra concertmaster is, however, quite a lofty achievement. I hope he loved it.
April 17, 2021, 8:00 PM · If there is a recording on YouTube of Labko playing Spohr No. 2 on YouTube I can't find it.
Edited: April 17, 2021, 10:08 PM · Pardon my typo, Paul, I meant this piece.

Elise, given how he hams it up in some of his performances, I wonder if there just weren't so many opportunities to perform, and whether he didn't want to bother with the politics, or some other factor, because he seems like he relished performing.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe