Dominant Pro Opinions

April 6, 2021, 11:50 PM · So, has anyone forked over the $90 to buy a set of these to try?

I installed the G, D, and A today (sticking with Jargar Superior E) and my opinions are kind of mixed.

They are kind of similar to Dominants in terms of feel and color, with a slightly better tonal ceiling. They are kind of marketed as "better dominants that last a long time", and I guess that's pretty accurate, except for the longevity thing, because I've had them for about 12 hours at this point.

I had very good luck sticking with Rondos in the past, and I don't think I will be making the switch to Dominant Pros.

Replies (14)

April 7, 2021, 12:19 AM · Eudoxa are better than Dominant to me. Dominant however are relatively easy to play/less "tight" vs most synthetics that are not nylon cores. The price hike of Pro vs regular is a bit outrageous, IMHO. Thus I would recommend to stick to Dominant for their unique tone and benefits, than paying 30%+ more for the box and new tech of the D-Pro, whatever that may be. Some people already love them, and that is fine. Eudoxa (and a few other gut strings) are cheaper than D-Pro, so I miss the latter's point-at least one can pay $50.00 for regular Dominant if you know where to look.

If you love your Rondos, since they are (I think?) similarly priced to D-Pro, I would stick to those. I would choose the D-Pro only if you prefer nylon cores and are in love with that new tonal option and feel under fingers and bow. Nothing wrong with preferring one thing or the other, as long as your instrument and music benefits from it.

Now let other more useful responses follow. Stay safe, and enjoy your new strings.

April 7, 2021, 8:48 AM · David - all threads are archived after 30 days, at least that's my understanding.
April 7, 2021, 1:19 PM · I've just tried them earlier this week. So far I like them on this violin. I'm using the stock E string and it sounds fine. The A string is about the best synthetic I've ever used. On this violin I usually steel A's but the Dom Pro works nicely and sounds and responds well. I like the G and D for the tension they have. This violin needs more than the regular Dom have but less than the Rondo and Piastros that I've used.
Now, to see how long they last like this.
April 8, 2021, 8:21 AM · My theory: Dominant Pro was an excuse to change those goofy pastel-coloured windings into a more "21st century" psychosis black.

Synthetic strings sound more alike than they do different. I haven't used them for years but in my mind when they don't even bother to change the name anymore... it's basically the same product.

Edited: April 8, 2021, 11:59 PM · When they first came out, we got a dozen sets at the shop to try. My impressions from putting them on a couple violins was that they did have a bit different feel and response from “regular” Dominants, but that didn’t mean they were an improvement or replacement. They just seemed to occupy a new spot in the tonal spectrum that might appeal to players who wanted a bit more brightness and focus without going to the level of PI or Rondo.

The packaging and marketing for the Pro set is certainly a lot more glamorous—the box is larger than most set packages and made with a thick card stock. The color scheme for the strings and the marketing are trendy. There is a booklet that folds out to a considerable length with data about each string and all the options available. They offer a lot of different choices so one can customize the set, something that ought to appeal to those who enjoy tinkering. Steel core A strings are becoming trendy lately, so you can find one in the lineup, along with several E strings. They aren’t available in bulk, so the target group seems likely to be different from that of Thomastik’s other sets.

April 10, 2021, 10:06 AM · I've had a set of Dominant Pros on my violin for a little over a week. I had been using Vision Solos with Goldbrokat thick E. I really like the Dominant Pros, particularly the sound in the upper register of the G string. I think there is a bit less tension and it is creating a warmer and less 'barky' sound on my violin. Not a fan of the E string and will probably return to the Goldbrokat thick E for price and sound.
April 10, 2021, 7:25 PM · I quite like the Dominant Pro strings. Perhaps a better name would be "Dominant+" as they are similar to Dominants, but everything is just increased a bit. They have a bit more focus and a more solid tonal fundament while still having brilliance and shimmer. I also find they have a bit more modern of a response profile and accept more pressure when needed.

I don't like the E string much at all though. So I stuck with the Hill E that I've always used. I'm also curious to try the aluminum D which is due out in July. With Dominants I also used the alum D. I'm actually surprised that I don't hate the Dominant Pro silver D string -- it has a nice brilliant sound and is pretty responsive for a silver D.

I started out on gut as a kid, mostly Eudoxa, and I've tried just about every synthetic that has come along since Dominant, but have mostly gravitated back to Dominant. For now, I'm going to be playing on the Dominant Pros for a while -- they have plussed everything I like about Dominant without introducing any cons.

April 10, 2021, 8:30 PM · I didn’t put the E on when I tried the set because I just knew it wasn’t going to be worth it. I said as much in the previous thread, and a lot of noses got out of joint over it. We eventually tried the E and confirmed that it wasn’t good enough. I’m glad to hear others had the same conclusion. You just can’t beat the Goldbrokat and Gold Label E strings.
April 10, 2021, 10:15 PM · Mr. Maxham,

I agree those classic Es are great, but the Hill E DB Cooper uses is no slouch! I have one I plan to use soon enough, as I am testing out classic Es. Golden Label E is IMHO "better" than Pirastro's later silvery steel E, and the Goldbrokat needs no further word (I used to use .28 eons ago, but I prefer the medium .26 Goldbrokat "that Heifetz used" nowadays.)

Stay safe.

April 11, 2021, 5:58 PM · I like the Gold Label E in principle, but I find that it whistles more than average (especially the medium). The thicker gauge helps for some reason.

Prefer E strings like Hill, Westminster, Jargar, many times I will use the thick gauge. They all have a great sound (but different) and good whistle resistance.

I'm really liking the Dominant Pro's though. They do have a feel and flavor that is closer to Dominant but unlike the other offerings on the market. They do all of this without being gimmicky or losing their sound after a week or two.

I do find it interesting the the to-be-released aluminum D is listed as having a higher tension than the included silver D. Usually, it is the opposite, and I'm interested to see how my violin reacts to the alum option.

Edited: April 11, 2021, 6:29 PM · I have a set to install in a couple of days.
I'm awaiting for the old Vision S.T. to become intolerable. I am trying the Dom. Pro with a Westminster 27.5, E string.
The folks on Maestronet are comparing them a lot to Evah Golds. Has anyone who have tried both
care to comment?
April 11, 2021, 7:32 PM · I use Evah Golds on another violin I have and I don't see the similarity between the two brands. The Evah Golds don't work well with the violin I have the Dom Pros on - very different in terms of tension balance.
April 12, 2021, 7:21 AM · I can see some basic similarities in the level of warmth and focus. But in the end, the Dominant Pro sound distinctly "Thomastic" and the Evah Gold sound distinctly "Pirastro". I have no problem with the latter except for a short lifespan.

To me, this would be similar to comparing Dominant (original) to Tonica -- perhaps some similarities, but each fit more completely in the manufacturers tonal and response profile.

April 18, 2021, 1:38 PM · I haven't played on Dominant strings in well over twenty years but the very metallic tone of these brought back memories of college when I first put them on. After playing them in a bit (same day) I loved the warmth and feel of the G string but thought that the D and A were perhaps a bit too similar in timbre. After a week I'm really loving the warm silvery vibrant and responsive sound of these strings on my violin, the A and D have more distinct characters now and I'm still loving the G especially. I've paired them with a thick gauge lezner Goldbrokat e but plan to try a Westminister, Pirastro Gold, and Hill thick gauge e as well. I can't say that price was a deterrent because Evah Pirazzi sets aren't cheap either. I was more apprehensive because I've been playing on Evahs exclusively since 2006 and for the most part been pretty happy with them. I like the Dom Pros enough to have ordered a second set.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe