Michael Rabin Untraceable CD's

March 31, 2021, 10:28 AM · I recently obtained 5 CD sets of Michael Rabin and have not been able to find any information about them.
Would any one know where to look these up?
Thank you

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3879/m9mZrm.png

Replies (11)

Edited: March 31, 2021, 10:59 AM · any catalogue numbers on the boxes?

Michael Waiblinger may still be a member of vcom!
https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=discopaedia

April 13, 2021, 4:24 PM · The "sleeve" notes in the photo suggest these are private, not commercial discs. Rather like the cassettes I made of my teacher's precious shellac discs of Joseph Hassid, long before the CD transfers were issued.
April 13, 2021, 8:37 PM · I wonder if those are bootlegs, perhaps created from vinyl recordings.
April 13, 2021, 8:51 PM · You can maybe tell us where you obtained them from?
Edited: April 13, 2021, 11:15 PM · These are recordings mostly off the Air (radio), and the one listed are (live) from the Bell Telephone Hour. Some (if not all) where also released on LP.
What do you want to know? (And these are a private collection, not to be sould commercially)
April 14, 2021, 10:18 AM · Adrian - are your Hassid recordings available now? If not you might think of uploading them on youtube (unless, of course, you have other plans). There are so few recordings. What was magical about him to me was his expression - note nuances (my obsession), almost superhuman. <3
Edited: April 14, 2021, 11:59 AM · Elise, I have a Pearl CD with Hassid's 8 recorded pieces (ca.30 minutes) coupled with Ida Haendel's from the same year (1940, when they were 17yo). I think they are on YouTube. If not, I could put them in my Google Drive.
The precision of Heifetz with the charm of Kreisler. Angelic.
April 14, 2021, 12:09 PM · Thanks Adrian - I'll check it out...
April 14, 2021, 12:36 PM · There is an insanely fantastic Hassid/Neveu CD on the Testament label.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7943293--the-first-recordings-of-ginette-neveu-the-complete-recordings-of-josef-hassid?

April 14, 2021, 7:37 PM · I took an Alaskan cruise once and one of the evening shows was a rock violinist who was really quite good. Okay, cruise-ship shows are mostly for an older crowd but this guy seemed like he had real chops and cool arrangements of a variety of tunes, and we enjoyed it.

After the show we met him and exchanged a few pleasantries, and my inlaws bought his CD. I figured I would order it from Amazon after coming home. Nope -- you can't buy it anywhere except directly from the violinist on his website, and then only by contacting him by email and getting instructions for payment in reply. Very coy. And it occurred to me that all the tunes on the album are copyright-protected and maybe he's not paying the royalties, and maybe there's some wrinkle in maritime law that allows him to get away with that, but I wasn't curious enough to worry about it any further.

April 15, 2021, 7:02 AM · Perhaps if the website were installed in international waters?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe