Ilya Kaler Masterclass

Edited: March 30, 2021, 9:20 PM · Greetings,
in the past, I have had the privilege of occasionally coaching a young Japanese violinist living primarily in the USA who was so talented wherever she went top universities and music Institutes literally threw scholarships at her. However, due to circumstances beyond her control it had always been rather difficult for her to settle down with a teacher worthy of her immense talent. Recently I got a message to the effect that she was finally studying full time with Ilya Kaler. He is one of my favourite violinists but I had no idea whether or not he could actually teach. Having seen the video in this link I feel like weeping with relief. At last the teacher has found the student or is that supposed to be the other way around?
https://youtu.be/i8kI2IFXm_Y
cheers
buri

Replies (14)

March 30, 2021, 9:13 PM · Thanks for sharing, Mr. Brivati. I'll watch it later tonight.

Be well.

March 30, 2021, 9:57 PM · I think it's a mutual 2-way consensus.
March 30, 2021, 11:27 PM · you are starting to sound like my wife…
March 31, 2021, 5:53 PM · Still on the first player-- wonderful class.
Edited: March 31, 2021, 6:27 PM · Buri, my guru dance instructor had a favorite quote:

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Seems to work here too....

March 31, 2021, 7:49 PM · Hi Elise (Not Lydia),
I have always loved that quote. This student has already studied with people like Aaron Rosand. From what I saw of her and much study of Rosands ideas on Youtube he is one of the greatest violinsts of all time but a little idiosyncratic and vague as a teacher. Better as a coach in my opinion. Kaler is, to me , obviously both a comparably superb player and a very perceptive and dynamic teacher.
Personally, as time went by there was progressively very little I could tell her. The one lesson I did pass on to her (very severely actually) was that if you want to be a professional one of the most important things to be able to do is to play a major movement of an unaccompanied Bach Sonata or Partita -perfectly- at the drop of a hat. I hope she still remembers my advice ;)(Pretty sure she can play them all from memory these days anyway)
Cheers,
buri
March 31, 2021, 9:49 PM · Wow great master class, I didn't have time to watch it all, but yeah he really digs into the student -- in a good way! And what a great violinist too. Even though I will never play those piece, it's very useful to see him correcting the student's technique in ways that I can apply to my own playing.
March 31, 2021, 11:10 PM · Exactly Paul.
How many teacher’s are there that would know to point out the connection between Gotherdemerung and a motif in the Sibelius? That reminded me of the way Szigeti and Henryk Szeryng talked about the violin. Linking concepts and ideas across the whole musical spectrum.
Cheers,
Buri
Edited: April 1, 2021, 10:39 AM · It is a very impressive masterclass, and all done in a very welcoming and encouraging tone.

I just listened to the Vadim Gluzman masterclass at the same university (whose playing I love and who I've seen live a number of times), and while Gluzman's advice is truly excellent and correct, he is pretty consistently a jerk and rude to the students, although his methods produce results.

Kaler seems to be able to get great results in his students by being kind, and not once does he feel the need to grab the student's scroll while they are playing (as Gluzman does) - Who would have thought you could eschew such a thing and still get a point across?

His students at CIM would appear to be quite lucky.

April 2, 2021, 2:41 PM · Buri, I am truly glad for your former student! But having briefly studied with Rosand years ago, one of the many things that struck me was how precisely he expressed himself on matters both technical and musical.
April 2, 2021, 9:43 PM · Mr. Lesniak,

I mean no offense to Mr. Gluzman, but many, many years ago, I also witnessed in person a masterclass in which I can confirm an attitude similar to what you described above. I am sure that's his personality and individual upbringing at work, but also wonder if a bit more warmth would really do any ill to the students at his masterclasses. Do not mean to insult him in any way, to be sure.

April 2, 2021, 10:14 PM · Hi Raphael,
sorry this wa slate. I forgot the send button...
Anyway, I stand corrected. No offense intended to without doubt doubt one of the greatest masters of the 20c,
Cheers,
Buri
April 3, 2021, 5:49 AM · No offense taken!
April 3, 2021, 9:43 AM · Beautiful masterclass. Also really appreciate how he demonstrates without being arrogant or pretentious, just enough to get his point across.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe