Note issue

March 26, 2021, 6:42 AM · Hey all,
So I've recently been revisiting the Telemann viola concerto in G ("Back to basics"), as its the easiest viola music I have (practising movement 2). I have been recording myself during every practise session, and in the arppeggio bit in solo entry, I am struggling to get the B in tune. Its frustrating as every other note in the first 3-4 bars is in tune. I have tried isolating it and retuning my viola. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Replies (3)

Edited: March 26, 2021, 8:07 AM · So I suggest carefully practicing, in isolation, the scale upon which the passage is built. Then ask yourself -- when you are playing an arpeggiated passage, should you use Pythagorean scale tuning? Or just double-stop tuning to make the intervals sound more chord-like? I have found that the answer to this question is not always obvious but it helps to know where along that continuum you want to be. Once you have decided in your mind what your "B" should sound like, then you'll be ready to practice it into your passage and -- importantly -- make sure they're all the same. But without having a concept in your head about what a note should sound like before you play it, how you can you even hope to get it right?
March 26, 2021, 10:30 AM · Try a different fingering. From looking at the music I guess that Telemann anticipated first position and the use of both the open G and D strings.

If you want to avoid the open strings you can choose second or third position, each option with different advantages and disadvantages.

Looking at the music made me realize that you only have to make about half a dozen very minor changes to make the solo part playable on the violin. Telemann wrote a concerto for viola and chose not to use that fifth that is the viola's unique possession!

March 26, 2021, 12:44 PM · So another thing to ask, what is the best part of the bow to do the semi quaver passages (between f natural and g string) in bar 15? I can't figure it out and its driving me crazy. I like doing it at the frog, but not sure thats stylistically appropriate

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe