Ysaye Unfinished Sonata

March 21, 2021, 5:14 PM · Greetings,
this is a link to a short video about Ysaye’s unfinished, recently discovered sonata.
https://youtu.be/nJW8oQrh4Cs
The playing of Ysaye at the beginning is, favor me, one of the most uniquely moving sounds I have experienced from a violin. I don’t think we hear this kind of sound anymore. I could be wrong....
Cheers,
Buri

Replies (9)

March 22, 2021, 2:21 AM · I miss those sounds. Playing with character and taste. True violin playing.Thank you for early recordings.
Michael
Edited: March 22, 2021, 3:39 AM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVEbCq9W3g

Longer

What are some "untrue" violinists (by name)?

March 22, 2021, 5:02 AM · Buri thanks for the link, fascinating, and, me being Belgian, nice for me personally to see this coming out of the Brussels conservatory!
March 22, 2021, 8:52 AM · Thank you so much for the link! I was a little sceptical going into it because I expected it to be too fragmented and early in its development to be more than a historic gimmick, but this has been a wonderful watching experience. The information, Graffin's playing, and the sonata itself were all very insightful and beautiful. I really hope that he (or others) record what is left of it without the commentary and fragmentation of the edit once so that one could listen to it all without distractions.
March 22, 2021, 1:14 PM · And publish the text!
March 22, 2021, 7:13 PM · Beautiful finesse!
March 22, 2021, 7:49 PM · Benjamin,
I knew of Grafin but this was the first time I heard him. He really is a wonderfully sensitive artist isn’t he?
Cheeers,
Buri

Edited: March 23, 2021, 9:49 AM · Pavarotti once said that he could force himself to sound like Caruso if he really wanted to. My guess is that if one of any number of today's supremely gifted soloists wanted to sound like Ysaye's recordings, they could figure out the subtle technical aspects and command their hands to make it happen. Fingers would wag in their direction for "nostalgic" or "saccharine" violin playing though. (Not sure what kind of DAW plug-in gives you that scratchy Victrola finish either.) I enjoy that "sweet" sound very much, but my teacher cautions and counsels me to avoid it.

A good recording of Ysaye playing his own sonatas would be great to hear though.

March 23, 2021, 10:52 AM · There is an interesting masterclass on YouTube with James Buswell working on a sonata with a student. Buswell was a Galamian student, but also knew and was able to learn some things from Gingold, who was an Ysaye student.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe