Violin case

March 11, 2021, 1:40 PM · I would very much appreciate any comments on what kind and brand of violin case you would recommend.

Replies (14)

March 11, 2021, 1:47 PM · I have a bam violin case and I think they are considered good
Edited: March 11, 2021, 2:20 PM · A really nice case that is not expensive is the Embassy Courier. BAM cases are overpriced in my opinion.
March 11, 2021, 2:43 PM · BAM cases are a nice investment, I have had my hightec for nigh on 8 years and it is still doing an excellent job.

Otherwise, Gewa cases are nice. I am in the market for a viola case myself, nearing towards one with zips, not sure I am up for latches again (although my BAM case is fine).

Jakob Winter Greenline cases are also nice, affordable and very smart.

The ultimate violin case is probably a Musafia!

As for type of case, that largely depends what you need it to do... If you want to carry music around at the same time, an oblong case would be ideal, if you want something more lightweight and smaller, a shaped case is preferable.

There are loads of case threads on this forum, give them a read. Some are very spirited...

March 11, 2021, 3:36 PM · Musafia is the rolls roice brand. If you've got the money, you cannot go wrong.

For me, Negri is the perfect case-for-money ratio. Worthy materials, fine workmanship, and sturdy as a rock while still nicely understated. After several frustrations with other (cheaper or equal) brands I came back and use them almost exclusively. If you use a shoulder rest, the Venezia model is perfect. If you don't, then the affordable Firenze model is your choice. (In general, more money in Negri cases will buy you more compartments: Firenze 1, Monaco 3, Milano 3 as well but larger ones. The high quality is also found in the basic models.)

Having said that, Riboni are very nice as well, especially if you prefer it more "modern".

March 11, 2021, 4:18 PM · Depends on your budget and how you value your violin. Almost all high tech/ carbon fibre type cases are more susceptible to rapid changes in humidity and temperature, than laminated wood cases.

Musafia Cases are the gold standard in protection. The Musafia Lievissima which is an excellent case is around $800 and is made of wood laminate yet competes weight wise with the high tech cases. I have a Lievissima and a luxury classic, they are phenomenal cases and will outlast me. In the budget range Bobelock cases runout at about $350 ish and are good solid cases which have good insulating and humidity control properties (padded linings). My wife owns one of these and its built like a tank and has soaked up lots of abuse while protecting its cargo. I am very nervous about the high tech cases with minimilist interiors. These do not protect well against swings in humidity and their interiors seem to heat up very fast during even short walks in the sun, and cool very fast when it is cold outside. My daughter liked the high tech minimilist look but now carries her case inside an insulated jacket, which defeats any weight saving and ends up looking like any other scruffy cheap case. Perhaps that's a bonus :) In the real budget department the Gewa Bio-S is under $200. My teacher and mentor trusts his Montagnana in one of these. He crash tested the case tripping on ice and falling across the case onto a kerb...Sickening...no significant damage to the violin. Those a re the observations about the things that I have direct experience. Hope that helps

March 11, 2021, 4:19 PM · Nice to see Rolls-Royce mentioned! I used to work for that aeronautical engine maker.
March 11, 2021, 4:22 PM · Hmmm... not what is usually meant, although I normally feel better about those engines than the other, street-bound variety.
March 12, 2021, 10:50 AM · @Trevor, my friend! I have never owned a RR, but I have cherished an XJ (BRG over Magnolia) for 13 years and loved every moment of it! I called her the Gattone, my Big Cat :-)
March 12, 2021, 12:13 PM · What is your price range? There is an order of magnitude between the low end and the high end.
March 12, 2021, 12:16 PM · Trevor, did you know Harry Bickerton?
March 12, 2021, 6:30 PM · John, sorry, that name does not come to mind. I retired from R-R in 1998. In my time there I was for the most part in the almost monastic seclusion of the Patents Department, the people outside my department I met usually being inventors and their managers, a very small subset of R-R's many thousands of employees.
Edited: March 12, 2021, 7:26 PM · I think Harry Bickerton must have left RR in the '60s (Somebody else I spoke to was being made redundant by them around that time), as the Bickerton Folding Cycle started being sold in 1971.
The Bickerton had a bag hanging from the U-shaped handlebars (or even between them), so you could cycle along with another Bickerton inside it - or in my case, with a violin and a viola plus sizeable briefcase.
Edited: March 12, 2021, 7:33 PM · VIOLIN CASES:
This is one to stay away from: the original JAEGER case as in theis video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXB1ID-heP0

I just found the youtube video minutes ago. I have owned 3 original Jaeger cases, 2 double violin cases and one single. I bought two with (possibly) thermoplastic shells in the 1970s, but they did not have the kind of bow clips that the one in the video has (so I suspect it is either older than 1970, or borderline. The third one was given to me in exchange for some work I did on someone's cello --> that one was bought in and brought back from Germany in 1947, according to the bill of sale that came with it. It had worn leather covering on the case and it did have the bow clips like the one in the video. None of these cases have the interior cushioning ("suspension") that is ubiquitous now.
The hinges on these cases were not well-fastened by their rivets to the case material. The canvas case covers are all long gone and I have replaced all the handles; I checked into replacing the covers years ago, but the genuine Jaeger covers cost as much as a complete Bobelock case.

For the money, in my opinion, nothing tops a Bobelock case - I've bought 3 of them; two for me that I still have and one for my granddaughter when she graduated to a full size violin 20 years ago.

I also have 2 Musafia cases, one Dart-shape and one oblong "Salvatore Accardo" model. The Dart had the most compact dimensions I could find in any case for an airplane flight back in 2001 and that was what I wanted at the time. The reason for the "Salvatore Accardo" purchase was totally aesthetic and resulted from a successful price negotiation with the dealer (I still don't regret it). The aesthetics, detailing and design details of Musafia cases cannot be beat:
1. The latch of every case is very secure and designed to avoid failure in shear should that happen if the case is dropped, stepped on, fallen on, and possibly even driven over. (I suspect it is patented, or other case brands would use the design.)
2. The bow spinners (since 2010) are designed to minimize the chance of snagging bow hair. My cases are older than that, but Dimitri Musafia sent me replacment spinners for my cases.

March 12, 2021, 7:40 PM · The variation named after Jaeger will, I suspect, survive longer.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe