Telemann Viola Concerto in E Minor sheet music

March 10, 2021, 8:46 AM · Hi there,

I have been listening to Conrad Zwicky's "Bratschenkonzerte-G. PH. Telemann". On the album, there is a "Konzert E-Moll (Rekonstruction)", so an E minor viola concerto. I am quite keen to find the sheet music for this, but a search of IMSLP and the depths of Google have turned up nothing.

Does anyone know if there is sheet music for this, or if as a reconstruction, it perhaps isn't actually Telemann? Basically, I really like it and want to learn it.

Many thanks,
M

Replies (8)

March 10, 2021, 9:41 AM · If someone has done a reconstruction, it is in copyright and therefore won't be on IMSLP. Your best option is to find who did the reconstruction and try and contact them or the viola player you mention.
Edited: March 10, 2021, 1:20 PM · Just listened to the recording. Even though Mr. Zwicky calls this a “reconstruction“, it's actually a viola arrangement of Telemann's Fantasia in b minor for solo violin. In the present version, the solo viola plays the original violin part (transposed down by a fifth) and Conrad Zwicky obviously composed introductions for each movement plus the string orchestra parts. You can find the complete Fantasias on imslp.org and the b minor Fantasia is really one of my favourites in the set.

Editing to add that on imslp.org you will also find Telemann's 12 Fantasias for solo viol (i.e. viola da gamba). Some of them sound fantastic on the viola, as does Telemann's viol concerto in a major, which is also available in a version for viola.

March 10, 2021, 3:22 PM · Thank you very much both, this is really helpful.
Edited: March 11, 2021, 8:37 AM · Mr. Zwicky is misusing the term "reconstruction". A reconstruction would be done of a piece that has been lost and is only available in arrangements. It would attempt to create a plausible version of the original. Bach's concerto for oboe and violin is a good example: Analysis of one of the harpsichord concertos (for 2 harpsichords I believe) led people to believe that it is an arrangement (by Bach himself) of a concerto for oboe and violin. So a concerto for that combination was "reconstructed".

What Zwicky did was either an arrangement or a new composition based on an existing piece of music depending on how far removed from Telemann's original the concerto is. I suppose "reconstruction" has a nice scholarly ring to it and it appealed to Zwicky.

As to the original: The e-minor fantasia is one of the best (and longest) pieces in Telemann's set and I recommend it strongly (not too easy though by Telemann's standard; full of double stops).

March 11, 2021, 2:45 PM · @Albrecht: This “reconstruction“ is not based on Telemann's E minor Fantasia, but on the one in B minor. Mr. Zwicky just transposed it to E minor for his arrangement. So there are no double stops to be afraid of;-)
March 12, 2021, 8:32 AM · You are right; he would have to transpose to fit the range of the viola. Stupid of me to forget. The b-minor fantasia is also nice (not quite as nice as the e-minor IMHO) but quite short: 5 minutes total with all repeats played (I once timed all 12 of them out of curiosity). I like it with rather forward leaning tempi; on the viola one might play a tad slower and make the piece a tad longer

I like those fantasias; unlike almost all of Bach's solo pieces they can be polished for performance by decent amateurs, some are easier than others but the whole dozen is accessible. All of them last less than ten minutes. I have played one or the other of them on various occasions when somebody asked me to "play something" and insisted that I do so.

Edited: March 19, 2021, 5:29 AM · I looked at the gamba suites at IMSLP: there is a transposition for tenor viol, in alto clef, which I find better for viola than their viola arrangement. A few isolated low notes still need an octave transposition, but it makes best use of the viola strings, without grumbling or shrieking..

I do similar transpositions of the exquisite gamba suites by Marin Marais, Sainte-Colombe etc.

March 19, 2021, 6:58 AM · The flute Fantasias also work wonderfully on violin. Currently working my way through them. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiQmJZsECyv-iy0ztKRKXo-_cvBq8cbbF

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies
Juilliard Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe