VLM Diamond and Wolf Forte Secundo comparison

Edited: February 23, 2021, 12:48 PM · As I've mentioned here elsewhere, I've significant shoulder/neck (fused)/elbow/hand problems from arthritis and prior injuries. This surely isn't uncommon for returnees in my age group. The Wave 1 (tall) is my perfect CR. I've used the VLM Diamond for almost a year - for various reasons I decided try the Wolf Forte Secondo.

The difference in how the Wolf Forte Secondo feels when I play is improved from the VLM Diamond, and bears no comparison with the Kun and Everest that came before the VLM.

What is that difference do you ask? All tension is gone from my jaw, neck and shoulder, everything feels much more free. My instrument feels totally supported (bass side screw is almost as low as possible & treble side screw is almost as high as it can go). Indeed, even my left hand feels no need to grip the neck at all - like it doesn't even need to touch anything but the strings (some exaggeration but not much).

Looking at the differences between my Wolf and Diamond I can't see why they should feel so very different, but am thankful to have made this experiment. I didn't dream when I replaced my instrument that my increasing tension/pain issues could be related, in part, to a need to reexamine my SR of choice. Good lesson!

Replies (3)

February 23, 2021, 12:48 PM · Glad the Wolf is working for you :) it's always a process of discovery.
February 23, 2021, 12:53 PM · My experience has been that mere millimeter differences between shoulder rests (and even less difference between chinrests) can be critical to one's playing comfort.

I found the Wolf Secondo chinrest perfect to my needs for about 40 years (I did not need the extra height adjustment of the "forte"). It was only after that that my needs changed and it took me close to 10 years to find a completely satisfactory new shoulder rest (although I could probably get along without one - but I now use a PERFORMA.

February 23, 2021, 1:27 PM · I remember you mentioning that Andrew. I suspect that I did need both the extra height on the treble side, and it sits closer to my neck.

I do need to tighten it a bit though, from the way the feet rests I suspect my instrument is just a tad more narrow than the factory settings assume.

Thanks Ella!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe