When will you feel comfortable teaching in person again?

February 18, 2021, 7:03 AM · One of my goals for 2021 is to rebuild my studio that tanked when 2020 got its groove on. This week I struck gold with several people asking for lesson info!

However, I'm still on the fence as to when to start teaching in person again. I am half-vaccinated currently, so I should be less paralyzed by the question than I am, I suppose.

When will you feel comfortable teaching/learning in person again?

Replies (12)

Edited: February 18, 2021, 10:16 AM · My teacher is fully vaccinated, but isn't interested in teaching in person again until most of the restrictions are gone. From what I can tell most of the local teachers in my area are of the same mindset.

As far as me, as a 62 year old student (no yet eligible for the vaccine), I've mixed feelings on this. I would love a return to some kind of in-person lessons - at least once a month - but I understand my teacher wanting to wait until things are closer to normal.

February 18, 2021, 10:54 AM · I will feel okay going to my lessons in person again when:

(1) I'm vaccinated,
(2) My teacher is vaccinated, and
(3) The studio (a local private music school) establishes a policy to only admit parents, students, and teachers who have been vaccinated.

I'm expecting all of that to have happened by May.

February 18, 2021, 1:54 PM · I am happy to when the guidelines in my country allow me to. Guidance so far says no, so I will continue to respect that. I am not sure how likely it is for children to be vaccinated this year, the approach by the UK is to get all adults vaccinated this year, with a small amount of research for vaccinating children now taking place.

I, personally, will not enforce that all students (adult or not) have this vaccine as I strongly believe in body autonomy (I do not mean to make this political either). I will be having the vaccine for this though.

I am also aware that not all of my students will want to return to face to face lessons straight away or ever, so this is also a consideration for future lessons and plans.

February 18, 2021, 7:59 PM · At minimum, I need to be vaccinated. My studio numbers are too small for me to be a "super spreader" but I'm still a common point of contact for all those families. It would be responsible to do what I can to reduce risk. I would need to have most of my studio on board (90%?) and have all make the transition together. A gradual trickling back would wreak havoc on scheduling and physical setup of my home studio/workspace and I'm not doing that. I will freely share my vaccination status with students but not ask/enforce of them.

Another thing is if teaching in person, I want it to be a "normal" "close contact"-able lesson, not distanced. Preferably not masked either but at this point it's hard to predict what's coming.

However, 4x/week group vibrato practice online has worked wonders for those students so maybe I will still want to do that!

February 18, 2021, 8:30 PM · Spring is coming before too long...especially if you are vaccinated, lessons outdoors will be a good option April through June. And since kids won't be eligible to get it for some time, I wonder if fairly wide separation in some place like a church sanctuary may be another option.

Am still wondering what the camp / festival options will be. I saw an article this morning where New York is planning to allow camps with regular testing. This is going to be a tough call for us.

Edited: February 19, 2021, 11:22 AM · Some teachers in my area do teach in person with masks and distancing or barriers. This is in Canada and there aren't too many restrictions and there aren't thousands of cases province wide so it's not totally unsafe, but I totally understand if people are scared or afraid.
February 20, 2021, 10:35 AM · I'm looking forward to the weather warming up enough to be able to meet outdoors for rehearsals. By then, I hope to be (a) vaccinated, and (b) able to play again without extreme pain.
Edited: February 20, 2021, 11:19 AM · The vaccine is no joke. For me, it was as bad as getting a nasty flu. High fever, horrible headache, fatigue that just won't go away, etc. I have friends and coworkers who had less symptoms when they actually were infected with covid. Still, it's better than not being vaccinated.

My daughter goes to school in person with 24 classmates but we haven't restarted in person lessons yet. It just seems nonessential at this point.

February 20, 2021, 12:30 PM · When I am fully vaccinated and the weather moderates enough to allow me to keep windows open in my studio. I teach in an unusually large room (it was added on as a mother-in-law suite by a previous owner of our house) with windows on three sides and no shared airflow with the rest of the house.

There will be restrictions. I will require hand washing and masks, and will not schedule lessons back to back with the exception of siblings, to give me time to sanitize and air out the space. Obviously if a student or parent has been exposed or is simply feeling a little under the weather, an in person lesson will not be offered.

Edited: February 20, 2021, 12:34 PM · I'm fortunate to be teaching in person since September. Where I live there have been very few cases of covid, none relative to the school. We use masks and disinfect hands before and after, I'm comfortable with that. I don't give much seriousness to distancing, as it's basically impossible to teach beginners without tweaking their hands all the time.
February 22, 2021, 12:10 PM · When I'm vaccinated and my students and families are as well.
February 22, 2021, 2:10 PM · My teacher has decided that moving forward he will move to a hybrid teaching environment with 3 Zoom lessons a month and 1 (longer) in-person lesson. I'm fine with that as long as we've a chance for one-on-one lessons. This will happen once the local restrictions are lifted. I've given up guessing when that might happen...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe