Favourite transcribed work

February 16, 2021, 10:18 AM · Hi all,
What would be your favourite transcribed work for your instrument (or in general)? Can be to work on or just listen to. Mine is arpeggione sonata for viola

Replies (11)

February 16, 2021, 11:22 AM · Right now, I have a bug for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-10F3fNEEg
February 16, 2021, 11:32 AM · Not sure about my favourite, but I am currently looking at various baroque flute pieces but played on violin (which isn't my original idea but I think it works really well). I've looked through the Telemann Fantasias which are wonderful pieces, and also starting to play the Bach Flute Partita. Here was yesterday's effort.
February 16, 2021, 12:16 PM · Pictures at an Exhibition. The original piano piece is still my favorite though.
Edited: February 16, 2021, 1:15 PM · Vladimir Horowitz's transcription of "Stars and Stripes Forever" is on the same level as the epic Rachmaninoff transcriptions. I read somewhere that Horowitz decided to never share the music with anyone because he was annoyed that people were coming to his recitals just to her this one piece.

But others have transcribed it from the available recordings (which is a pretty unbelievable undertaking), and here's a nice version on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwQHfa7j-w

February 17, 2021, 5:47 AM · I like the violin versions Kreisler made of Chopin nocturnes. I also really like the orchestration of Debussy's Petite Suite by Henri B├╝sser. Just two examples.
Edited: February 17, 2021, 6:43 AM · Not sure. Typically a lot of Spanish composers wrote for piano, not guitar, and the guitar versions are transcriptions without people realising.

Liszt transcribed Beethoven's 6th symphony for piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGVgmW4egAw

Edited: February 17, 2021, 12:06 PM · Continuing the Spanish theme - Albeniz Tango arranged by Dushkin (I prefer it to the Kreisler arrangement).
And more Horowitz - in reflective mood, his transcription of Schubert's Serenade (Standchen?) is absolutely magical when he plays it. I love the Stars and Stripes as well - about as OTT as you can get!
February 17, 2021, 12:47 PM · For my instrument: Brahms E-flat clarinet sonata transcribed for viola. Also the Handel/Halvorsen Passacaglia (transcribed for violin and viola).

Generally: Pictures at an Exhibition, and Carlos Chavez's orchestration of the Buxtehude E minor chaconne.

February 17, 2021, 1:30 PM · I agree with the Brahms clarinet sonata! Such a lovely piece.

Also the Franck violin sonata - in the transcription for cello.

February 17, 2021, 1:34 PM · I love the de Falla Suite Populaire Espagnol, transcribed for fiddle. Originally songs. The sixth movement is a particular fave (Jota) - lots of Flamenco-like guitar plucking.
February 17, 2021, 2:53 PM · Some good choices everyone

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe