Getting used to different bridges

Edited: February 15, 2021, 4:29 AM · Is this a common problem?

You are forced to play on a different instrument for a while but the bridge has very slightly different curvature from your normal instrument's bridge, and you just can't get the hang of it?

My Breton is at a friend's house and I'm playing my Gewa, and I'm accidentally hitting the D string far more than usual when I bow the A string. If I tilt the static bow (or very slowly downbow) from D to A to E, there's sufficient roundness to the bridge, but possibly the A string sits a tiny bit lower than the Breton's?

So I should get used to it eventually, but it's annoying the hell out of me.

Replies (8)

February 15, 2021, 4:40 AM · Its a common problem on violins that aren't set up properly!!
February 15, 2021, 5:48 AM · Well, I was trying to pre-empt that response. The same guy set up both my Breton and my Gewa.
Edited: February 15, 2021, 6:54 AM · who is this guy?? maybe he's not the best??? or more likely it was set up for one brand of strings and you tried something different, like Al vs silver D string which have different diametre
February 15, 2021, 7:28 AM · I surmise that the two instruments were set up for different brands of rosin.

As to the original question, I am sorry to say that the answer is probably "try harder."

February 15, 2021, 7:33 AM · Lowering the e string or the d string a tiny amount would probably fix the problem, it needs to be tested with an accurate curvature gauge with the strings you prefer.
February 15, 2021, 10:17 AM · I may lower the D and G strings one day in the very distant future.
Conversely, I may slip a piece of vellum under the A string to raise it.
Anyway, I've just gone and got my Breton back, so I'll be able to do direct comparisons.
February 15, 2021, 10:45 PM · Without seeing the instruments it’s hard to exactly identify the cause of the problem. It could be that one bridge has a flatter curve unintentionally and that is throwing things off. It’s also possible that the bridges have the same curvature but the A string groove is a little too deep in one. There’s also a possibility that one violin’s neck has more tilt than the other, making the level of the bow arm for each string a little different for each violin.

Not having all the information, I’d prefer not to crucify the luthier prematurely.

Edited: February 16, 2021, 8:04 AM · Yes, I think the A string groove is too deep. I'm going to slip a little bit of paper under it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe