Choked sound on my violin

February 7, 2021, 3:39 AM · When I watch violin videos on YouTube they sort of feel singing sounding broad bright resonating. But when I play my violin it feels basseee(what you call dark ).... when I record it on my iPhone if feels choked. It doesn’t feel bright and singing type. Why?

Replies (18)

February 7, 2021, 11:37 AM · Hard to say. Could be any one or more of 50+ things.
February 7, 2021, 12:05 PM · If you are a beginner it is probably something about the bowing. Perhaps the bow is too much toward the fingerboard is one thing I can think of. Mind you, I'm an intermediate student so I'm very aware of the effects of bowing, ha ha.
February 7, 2021, 12:08 PM · Is the choked sound only a thing when you record on iPhone? Mind you, sometimes when you record on phone there might be extra bow noise, but yeah it's hard to say, it could be one of 10 million things :(
Edited: February 7, 2021, 2:10 PM · It could be any number of things, but from the post it seems that the sound there from your violin in the room is fine. I assume that you've played for others and they agree about your sound in the room(?) So... it's got to be the recording. My advice would be to try different spaces--so, both resonant spaces, with hard surfaces that reflect sound, and also spaces with a lot of absorbent material--I like antique carpets, myself), and experiment with moving closer and further away from your iPhone. Try putting the iPhone above your violin maybe about two feet and record yourself moving around under that. The iPhone is not the ideal recording device, but it can be made to work--you'll just have to experiment to get it to sound its best.
Edited: February 7, 2021, 2:27 PM · This may not be a factor, but my sound is AWFUL when I record with my phone (Android). It is much better when I record on my laptop with an external mic. Not all phone mics are suitable for this type of recording...just worth noting.
February 7, 2021, 5:49 PM · If possible have your teacher play your violin. Is the problem your technique or the instrument?
Edited: February 7, 2021, 7:37 PM · Dark "bass" sound is a good thing, I really like it, as long as the E string is bright and shiny.
What strings are you using?
February 8, 2021, 1:28 AM · As John suggested, my advise would be to have it plaid by someone else, or if you have the possibility, try another violin and see if the problem is the instrument.
Edited: February 8, 2021, 4:49 AM · @ella yu when I play slow songs with phone and external mic I get ok sound ,even good . When I play fast songs like despacito on phone I get noises like you said. Detache sounds. String crossing sound. Maybe its technique issue. Maybe it’s the speaker issue or recording issue. Phone speakers are not that good. Whereas my Yamaha speakers are of good quality. I will check if I get same sound on speakers. If yes then it’s technic.

About choked sound. That I get on both phone and my Yamaha speakers. Maybe my violin quality is not that good. I want sounds like this https://youtu.be/iJmi1I9sLJk. Not even close. Bright, singing, loud, not choked. I also noticed when I play fast sometimes I get loud slow fast in between notes. But that’s technic issue.

February 8, 2021, 4:56 AM · @pual smith it’s not fine to me. Audience is like they get hooked when they see the violin. Think what they will do when I play for them one note. They get mesmerised. It’s not ok to seasoned ear. It’s about me. So maybe it’s recording issue. May my phone is too close that it records every bit of violin. I will surely check what’s causing it. Good point. May be you cannot avoid these unnecessary sounds like string crossings, detaches . Only way is not to allow them to be recorded. Maybe legato is just a concept in theory.
February 8, 2021, 5:01 AM · @david duarte I am using vision strings now. Recently changed from tonica. I too think it’s violin issue. Cheap quality. I am though planning to buy traditional Amati or Ming ziang Zhu 905 from fiddler shop. Which violin do you all suggest incase . Any other if you have in mind. Please do tell.
Edited: February 8, 2021, 1:36 PM · Hah... I actually saw your video in December, I even commented on it.

If you prefer brighter singing sound go for the Amati. The MJZ 905 is a dark violin.

February 8, 2021, 1:39 PM · it sounds like a dud!! grating!!
February 8, 2021, 10:49 PM · @David Duarte haha yes I saw. Actually MJZ905 is Guarneri template. I will tell them to play strad template too. Amati is good bright but i like MJZ905 too I don’t know for a reason. It feels so balanced resonant on all four strings.
February 9, 2021, 1:17 AM · The 905 is a very good violin in its price point, and Fiddlershop is absolutely fantastic! However in the same price point as the 905 you can also find some very good antique French violins such as upper range JTLs or Laberte violins that sound fantastic. Corilon, Brobst, and Metzler are all excellent shops that have sound samples and solid trial or return policies. I suggest the French violins over German just because in my experience more of them tend to have the dark clear tone you mentioned about the 905, but also with the mature sound that just comes with decades of playing.
February 9, 2021, 6:47 AM · @Richard Jackson I saw a French violin mirecroft . Beautiful violin. Thanks for the suggestion. Great sound.
February 9, 2021, 5:23 PM · Is "mirecroft" some marketing-oriented combination of Mirecourt and Microsoft?

Should I be looking for an Apple violin?

February 9, 2021, 6:00 PM · Rudransh, yes, it is, hence its strong dark character, that's probably the reason, also PI strings are better than Vision. The Amati sounds good and I'm quite sure it would sound even better with Evah Pirazzi Gold or PI.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe