"Practice slow" says Hilary's 2-year old daughter

February 5, 2021, 5:15 PM · https://www.thestrad.com/video/hilary-hahns-two-year-old-tells-her-to-practise-slow/11744.article?utm_source=adestra&utm_term=Wa%20tch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=24066

Replies (10)

Edited: February 6, 2021, 6:03 AM · "Ex ore infantium".

What more can one say!

February 6, 2021, 11:01 AM · Amen.
February 6, 2021, 11:40 AM · From King James Bible, Psalms 8:2, "Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength"
February 6, 2021, 1:54 PM · Bruce, I heard there's a suckling born every minute. :)
February 6, 2021, 3:04 PM · It makes one wonder about a violinist such as, say, Zino Francescatti, whose teachers were his parents. What must that childhood have been like? And consider that Francescatti's father's teacher was Emilio Sivori, one of the only regular pupils of Paganini.
February 6, 2021, 3:19 PM · Sander, if the parents are sensitive and are responding to the child's real desire to play, and aren't trying to mold the child or force the child to have some kind of predecided destiny, I'm sure it's a wonderful experience.

If the parents are trying to work some personal baggage out, I'm sure the child will grow up to have a very adversarial attitude to music, even if the child can play very well. I wonder if Heifetz was more a product of the latter system than the former. The story of Menuhin (despite not having playing parents) seems to be presented as the former, but I wonder if such an accelerated path can be healthy for the child.

February 6, 2021, 4:33 PM · Christian: Yes, absolutely. When all is said and done, it is a matter of the nature of the relationship. The typical and "normal" issues of parenthood and the stages of childhood certainly are complex enough. But if one adds to that the aspects of a child's God-given musical talent, it's quite a challenging situation for any family to do what is truly in the best interests of the child's development as an artist. And it is indeed inspiring to see it handled well.
February 20, 2021, 10:51 AM · I think Ms Hahn has a fund of Happiness she can pass on!
February 24, 2021, 4:54 AM · My son - when little - started crying as soon as I took my violin to play...
February 24, 2021, 5:37 AM · That happens a lot to me.
Sadly,
Buri

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe