Covering Yngwie Malmsteen on Violin

February 4, 2021, 5:58 PM · Jill blew me away with this one so I thought I'd share. Malmsteen is in the top 3 Neo Classical Fusion guitarists on the planet, covering this couldn't have been easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2hZDzJp9Pc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0KTTqLNck-yqKMFKZ4a0ekQRiYSpHYVjb3RvtBa436usOTSjWn5CoGej8

Replies (4)

February 5, 2021, 12:27 AM · Impressive!

I just wish the sound was more natural. I tried to look up eruption for violin and most of them are electric violins with effects but I think the natural sound of a good wooden violin can't really be improved on.

February 5, 2021, 12:47 PM · And all while moving around wearing those shoes. Besides not sounding as good I'd break my neck.
February 5, 2021, 6:28 PM · I never really focused on her moving, I was just watching her play! Nice tone as well
February 6, 2021, 4:17 PM · Yeah, it definitely makes sense to cover Malmsteen with a violin, although many things still sound weird and odd. Overall, it fits.

Of course, Van Halen was recommended in the side bar, so I clicked. And as I expected, horrible. Just don't. It's like a piano trying to play a violin concerto. No, just don't. It's like a violin trying to cover The Beatles vocals. Except very few cases, if you try to cover something classical with an electric guitar, trying to get a legitimate similar to the original version, you are gonna fail so bad. And if you try to cover rock with the violin, just more of the same, it will simply not fit. Garrett, although I like him a lot, his rock/pop things just are not attractive to me.

Different instruments require different approaches. Many times VERY DIFFERENT approaches. Most of electric guitars that try to cover Beethoven or Mozart or Vivaldi... my God, they miserably fail, it simply won't sound right, specially if you add a thousand notes per seconds and huge gains and distortion and try to be badass or something.

These things work when you transform the piece and make it guitar friendly. Then they can sound well. For example, variations. Variations on themes, where one instrument, a piano, transforms a work and make it its own.

It's just too difficult to bring something from rock/blues/metal to classical and viceversa. You are trying to mix oil and water.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe