Blue Yeti recording technique?

February 3, 2021, 7:43 PM · On some advice from the forum here, I purchased a Blue Yeti, and find that it does work. In the sense that I can talk into it, and if I plug earbuds into the outlet on the mike, I can carry on a phone conversation.

For people who use this to record, how far away does this like to be from your instrument? I don't have a recording boom, so the mic will sit on a music stand, while I sit and read from another one. Also, if the correct distance leads to overload, how much do you correct the problem with the gain knob, and how much with the recording software?

I am using Audacity right now (NCH RecordPad, I think).

Replies (10)

Edited: February 3, 2021, 8:09 PM · I think it's normal to have to turn the gain 10-20% down to prevent clipping, and to put it about 2-3 feet away. As with any micrqhone, a bit of experimenting is key. I advise turning the mic gain down before adjusting anything in Audacity.
February 3, 2021, 8:27 PM · Also work with the capsule pattern setting. For myself I turn it to the second from the right. That's the setting recommended for recording music. I just set it on a table that's 3-4 feet from me and it seems to record fine that way. I also use audacity.
Edited: February 3, 2021, 8:34 PM · This is cardoid? The one that looks like Pac-man?

I did see a video on how to use it for speaking-- the presenter gave a couple of options to lift it off a table. I just ordered a fairly cheap boom from Amazon.

Edited: February 3, 2021, 8:51 PM · Yes, second from the right. Recording quality is fine from the table, but I just use mine for zoom lessons and to record myself as a reality check, your need may be different so the boom may help.
February 3, 2021, 8:59 PM · Eventually, I will want the option of standing. And when the weather gets less frigid, there will be more space out in the barn to do this. Right now, the TV room is the site.
February 4, 2021, 3:41 AM · I keep my mics a bow's length away from my viola: not too much grit, and not too much "room".
February 4, 2021, 6:54 AM · Stephen, I do stand when I practice. I should also say that my "covid-home-office/practice room" is a small second bedroom in my apartment.

I do not know the impact of room/ceiling size to this. The idea of practicing/playing in a barn has me curious on what impact that may have on your recorded sound. Talk about a change in room size - in all perspectives :-) Please keep us posted.

February 4, 2021, 7:46 AM · Have you considered investing in a contact mic? This will generally give you a much better recording quality and will be less affected of the acoustics of your 'office'.
Edited: February 4, 2021, 9:15 AM · My advice would be NEVER to ask advice about microphones on v.com. But since you asked, I put my Yeti on the windowsill 3-4 feet in front of me in a room with very little reverberance. Capsule pattern, gain control about 11 o'clock. Then I usually add reverb to taste using Audacity.
February 4, 2021, 2:02 PM · Thanks-- shall start with all that.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe