Eine kleine nachtmusik

January 23, 2021, 5:08 PM · I have just started to learn this piece and was wondering what level would it be classed as, beginner? or intermediate? all answers and opinions appreciated.

Replies (11)

January 23, 2021, 5:48 PM · Definitely in the intermediate range - assuming you’re talking about the 1st vln part. As I recall it gets to 3rd position but not above...and there’s simple double stops, and some sautille and spicatto. And it’s fairly pacey. As an ensemble piece, the unison sections make it tricky to play well, but it’s a relatively straight forward (and mandatory) piece in the repertoire.
January 23, 2021, 6:00 PM · Yes the first violin part is what I mean, thanks for the reply.
January 23, 2021, 6:03 PM · More or less intermediate, but the trio will expose uncertain tone.
January 24, 2021, 8:39 AM · But certainly not easy to play cleanly and in tempo with good tone, like almost anything on the violin! It's actually a very good piece to expose certain holes in your technique. And any intonation slip sticks out. Enjoy working on this!
January 25, 2021, 5:17 AM · Not quite sure how it compares with for difficulty with Eine kleine nichtmusik and Eine kleine Beatlemusik, but I would imagine they're fairly similar.
January 27, 2021, 1:27 PM · I agree that Eine kleine Nachtmusik (1st violin) is a good one to keep technique in its important aspects up to scratch (if that's the right word!) during a multiplicity of COVID lockdowns and a complete absence of playing opportunities in orchestras or other ensembles for the foreseeable future - especially relevant to an old orchestral grunt.

In the case of EKN, as a cellist and 2nd violinist I've played it in concerts too many to count, and I probably know most of the 1st violin part largely by memory from having heard it so often. Anyway, I've downloaded the part from IMSLP and I'll see how it goes during these endless periods of not-quite "house arrest" in the UK.

January 27, 2021, 2:09 PM · Trevor, thats one of the main reasons I am learning it, as you say it makes you concentrate on technique.

I promised myself I would learn this after going on holiday to vienna a couple of years ago and hearing a busker with a large crowd around him play it in the street, fitted the scene perfectly.

January 27, 2021, 4:27 PM · Trevor, thx for the spelling.

John, I believe you're right. Classification issues really start when it comes to Eine kleine Beaglemusik...

January 28, 2021, 3:29 PM · I have fond memories of Eine kleine Nachtmusik. My first instrument, at age 8, was the cornet. In my early teens I played in a brass band, and one of the pieces in our repertoire was an arrangement of the first movement.

Since then I've played it on 1st violin, 2nd violin, and viola. A string quartet I was in decided to give it a go, only to discover that the 1st violin part was missing. I managed to get through it by memory.

The community orchestra in which I'm currently playing viola was down to a small string orchestra to maintain distancing before COVID shut us down completely. Our conductor pulled it out, and spurred us on to a more polished rendition than we could have envisioned.

There's lots of life in the old warhorse yet. It must be true what they say about Mozart's music: it's too simple for beginners and too hard for advanced players.

By the way, happy belated birthday, Wolfgang!

Edited: January 28, 2021, 4:42 PM · Nuuska, another word for you - Phrontistery. Comes from the Greek Phrontisterion meaning "a place for thinking or study". What better name for a music practice room!

I have long had the word on the door of my practice room.

Edited: January 29, 2021, 6:40 AM · I worked yesterday a bit on the last movement. I find it not easy at all to play well in tempo, clean, good tone, not even mentioning the execution of all those turns in a pleasant clear manner. I'm going to perform it this weekend for my elderly father :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe