The Strad Subscriptions during Covid

January 13, 2021, 5:42 PM · Hi all

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem?

I subscribed to The Strad on 16 December for Print & Digital.

I have not received any physical magazine as yet (Jan is latest) and I am unable to access the Digital Edition on the website. I am logged in but the Digital Edition button tells me I do not have an active subscription. Clearly under my Account it tells me I do have an active subscription.

I have emailed customerservices@thestrad.com a number of times, and they eventually told me there is a delay caused by Covid to the print magazine, and that their is a problem with their website also reported by other members.

After asking for a timeline, I get a standard response:

Unfortunately due to the national lockdown in the UK, due to the current pandemic, our offices are closed. We are unable to send replacement copies.
After the lockdown circumstances have changed, please let us know if you still need a replacement issue and this will be arranged. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Being a new subscriber to the Strad is this common customer service - in fact I don't think I have had a print subscription for anything since about 1987 !!! :)

I am just disappointed that I now only have 62 days left of my first quarters subscription and have had nothing for my money!

Thanks for any help

Replies (4)

January 13, 2021, 5:52 PM · I wouldn't worry - if you are in the US, their mail service can be quite slow. I received the December edition (available online since november and probably produced and mailed before you subscribed) several days ago (e.g. early January). I have found that the time each month's print issue arrives varies between a day or two before the start of the month all the way to a day or two into the start of the month after the one written on the issue.

This happened before Covid as well. I once wrote to them and asked about it, and they were going to send me a replacement copy, then the original one arrived, well into the month after I had been expecting it. Since then I haven't bothered them when one is late, and they have always eventually arrived. However I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit more delay on the first issue of a new subscription - that is common for many magazines I think.

I haven't tried to use the online subscription portion for print issues myself, so can't comment on that - aaah, you're right! I also get the "you don't have a subscription" which certainly shouldben't be true (at least, I have a print subscription - the account details don't say I have an online one, and I didn't buy one separately, but I could have sworn they bundled it at some point.) It does appear however that I can read the articles on their website.

January 13, 2021, 6:24 PM · Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your help

I should have said I'm in London UK

Strange you have just received your January issue in the US, but I haven't gotten mine yet - I could have driven over and collected it :)

I get the feeling they haven't got their act together with customer services, I mean with print going/gone out of fashion they should really value a print subscriber - they live and die on advertising and pence-per-click has to be more difficult for them (ie less lucrative) as most people ignore webpage adverts.

I'm just extremely disappointed, but heartened to hear it will arrive sometime hopefully :)

Edited: January 13, 2021, 7:07 PM · I received a Christmas postcard from USA two days ago.
January 14, 2021, 2:20 AM · hi Simon, I have a subscription too and have no problems reading the latest issue of The Strad on the website, just tested it. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe