Mendelssohn VC "music minus one"?

January 12, 2021, 2:07 PM · Can anyone suggest a good accompaniment track for the Mendelssohn VC? It's going to be a while before I can play this with a real, live pianist...

Replies (5)

January 12, 2021, 2:29 PM · In the years before CDs, I used the Music Minus One vinyl disk.
Playing the cadenza was very frustrating - the orchestra always came back in at the wrong time! :-) But otherwise it was OK.
Edited: January 12, 2021, 7:29 PM · Yes-- I got a CD of the Mendelssohn from Presto Music, UK; The label is Soloist in Concert, HLCD 9101. It has the complete version, and the orchestral accompaniment only. Go to
www.soloistinconcert.com
I am in the USA and could find this CD only at Presto in the UK; Presto is a great resource for recordings and sheet music.
January 12, 2021, 6:56 PM · The Music Minus One CD (or MP3 tracks), which I think are also available through the Cadenza app, the absolutely best way to play a concerto with virtual accompaniment.
January 13, 2021, 10:00 AM · The myPianist app is quite impressive. My son recently recorded the Mendelssohn violin concerto for an audition using the app and the judges all commented on how well the app followed throughout the entire concerto. He was able to change tempi, add rubato, and take the last movement at a quick pace. There are also many great practice features built into the app. This forum discussed the app in detail back in September https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=4602
While it is true that not all competitions will allow the use of non-human accompanist, this app is not to be overlooked.
January 13, 2021, 12:09 PM · Thanks everybody. Great suggestions! I'll report back what I end up trying.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe