Wolf Forte Secondo very frustrating.....

Edited: January 11, 2021, 10:15 PM · So down to the point. I just got my Wolf Forte Secondo violin 4/4 shoulder rest. Apparently it’s supposed to be extremely customizable but I’m not able to get the longer leg horizontal with the rest of it (see pictures). Is it supposed to be like this or is it broken? Any help is greatly appreciated. Last photo shows how it is when the violin is on my shoulder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5w7w5ymg2l9e2g/IMG_7301.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5tuechpy8tck8o/IMG_7302.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euoy2srpa0ccl6y/IMG_7303.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tc3p9bfy41l3kw/IMG_7304.jpg?dl=0
Thank you in advance!!

Replies (8)

January 12, 2021, 5:26 AM · I have used this rest with success, but I had gripped each end of the rest in a fist and twisted until the feet lined up. Then the right end is more vertical, and leans on the chest just below the collarbone while the left end is more horizontal on the shoulder. This is the great advantage of this model.

Edited: January 12, 2021, 5:47 AM · Why did you buy such a prehistoric shoulder rest?
You need to use a screwdriver too loose the screw in order to adjust the size, and angle maybe, I suppose?
It's supposed to be like that, not completely horizontal, the feet go on the larger part of the violin for better grip, but the actual cushion is closer to your collarbone where it's needed.
January 12, 2021, 7:23 AM · I used the Wolf Secundo (not "the "Forte") successfully for at least 30 years.
The way you have adjusted yours you appear to have no need for the height adjustment of the Forte.
The way you have it placed on your violin it seems to me to be too close to y9ur collar bone.
Edited: January 12, 2021, 8:33 AM · Thank you all but I just can’t understand why it’s like it is. It doesn’t seem like the wire should be curved like it is.

@Adrian Heath so did you bend the wire? I’m sorry but I am confused right now.

@David Duarte the screw does nothing, really. I just don’t understand how the leg is supposed to be at the weird angle it is at. It makes my violin point up when I’m playing it.

I am going to my teacher tomorrow and hopefully he will have a solution and info for me.

Edited: January 12, 2021, 12:31 PM · The purpose of the screw is to allow adjustment for a smaller bout. I had mine shortened for my 7/8 size violin. The curve of the wire is normal. My concern about this rest is that if it pops loose when you are playing the adjustment wire can gouge the instrument's finish. I put it on very tightly when I use it.
Edited: January 12, 2021, 1:27 PM · The wire is curved so the cushion goes closer to your neck and not down the chest.

Ann, then you should put it less tight.

January 14, 2021, 10:21 AM · No, Josh I don't bend the curved "wire", I twist the rest itself: it's made of aluminium. Grip the wide end in your left hand and twist the narrow end with the right hand; your right knuckles turn away from you.
Edited: January 15, 2021, 7:43 PM · Loosen the screw so you can pull the feet in or out to fit your instrument and the foot rotated to the proper angle, once properly set, tighten the screw. The wire is curved so the extension does not affect the position of the pad relative to your shoulder for different size instruments. Looking at your setup, the left side IMO should be much closer to the bridge. The cushion can easily be bent to fit your shoulder shape. My only gripe with it is that it can not be set any lower. I wish it could be set an other 1/2 inch shorter.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe