Best Edition of Bazzini Dance of the Goblins?

January 11, 2021, 4:39 PM · Can someone recommend the best edition of Bazzini Dance of the Goblins?
I usually end up buying 4 editions of any piece before I find the one I like. Hoping to avoid that with the group wisdom here!

Replies (11)

January 11, 2021, 6:36 PM · Have you looked at IMSLP:
https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imglnks/usimg/c/c7/IMSLP91261-PMLP24350-Bazzini_Wilhelmj_Rondo_Violin.pdf
January 11, 2021, 8:14 PM · Greetings,
I really do sympathize with this edition problem but I am aa little puzzled by why one would buy four. It isn't only ther fingerings and bowings ofcourse. I bought the Francescatti edition of the Mozart sonatas once because I adore his playing. Not only dd his fingerings not work for for me, but I discoverd for the first time that whichevern famous pianist edits the piano part of a sonata like these radically alters the notes and how they are to be played to an unbelievable degree. I felt like I was competing with Schnaebels piano concerto when I first tried them with paino.
One solution is to always go with the most reputablen publishers such as Barenreiter or Breitkopf. The old Petrs editions tend to be complete rubbish but thety do publish some gems. Anything by Oistrak is well worth carefuo study. I did by Ricci's Paginin Caprices because I wanted to know what a revolutionary Paginin exponent did with these works.
The Bazzini is available in international edition and I recall it as being basically ok. If you don't know that you use 1234 goibng across from the e to the g string playing the same note you probably shouldnt be playing it anyway...:)
But, getting back to why I am stil a little puzzled. If you are good enough to play the Bazzinin(which I'm sure you are) why dont you just buy from a reputable publisher and then finger it yourselff. I suspect we learn more from working out our own solutions than cross refereninc a lot of violnits who all have a lot of quirks.
Cheers,
Buri
January 11, 2021, 8:15 PM · The concept of 'violinits' cause me considerable amusement...
Edited: January 15, 2021, 2:47 PM · Andrew Victor: YES! I download tons for stuff from IMSLP, and I donate to them. It's just that.....well, a person can download every possible edition, but I wanted an opinion of other violinists, just in case there was an edition that was stellar. Thank you!

Buri, I agree with you: just because we like a vioinist's playing does not guarantee their "edition" will be useful. (for one thing...is it REALLY the artist's own fingerings?) Maud Powell "editions" have some of the strangest fingerings! I have always operated with the same logic you laid out: go with the best, most reputable publishers, as they tend to be most reliable.

Also, I recently returned to my old edition of the Mozart Concerto in G to help a student. I grew up with the Schirmer, and that was what I have always used. But for the sake of my student, I started comparing editions....and it was like....holy cow....the different bowings and articulations are wildly different. So, I'll just find an urtext edition, and make my own.

I like to look at different ideas from several editions....to make sure my ideas aren't too radical. I'm fine choosing my own fingerings, as those are SO individual. It's the bowings that mostly concern me.

AND...it would be nice to find an edition that does all my homework for me. (there, I said it...it was partly motivated by laziness!)

Thanks for the time in responding. Cheers!
Lora

January 15, 2021, 4:04 PM · Comparing editions really is very interesting, albeit expnsive. I find one basic problem is whether you have a small hand and prefer more compact fingerings or a large hand that needs to be more open and stretched. I’m really struggling with the fingered version of the Paganini caprices that came with the urtext (Breitkopf) which seems ot emphasize the former.
Cheers,
Buri
January 16, 2021, 12:04 AM · Breitkopf? Do you mean the Peters but confuse the fingerings by Hertel with B&H? :)
January 16, 2021, 3:17 AM · I think I meant dumpkof but I’m not fussy. Anyway, its a dingy blue color....
Buri’s the name, precision is the game.
January 16, 2021, 12:43 PM · I don't think you meant Dumpkof, since that is me. Could it be Henle and Barbieri then? The only other blue Urtext I know of is Bärenreiter, but that contains no fingering (except Pag's). Or is there a Breitkopf Urtext that I don't know about :O
Edited: January 16, 2021, 12:53 PM · Lora, Thanks for your reply. I understand exploring different editions for variations in fingerings, articulations and bowing, but even if I only have one edition I eventually make those changes on my own.
As far as the "Goblins" are concerned, after I passed my 75th birthday (some years ago) I found I could neither snap my fingers audibly nor play a consistent left-hand pizz --> so I would have to dig through my "solos pile" to find my old copy of that.
January 16, 2021, 4:36 PM · Hi Mattias not-dummpkof,
Henle
Burp
January 16, 2021, 11:17 PM · Tosan Arigato!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe