VLM Diamond SR (feet)

December 31, 2020, 10:57 PM · I really like my VLM Diamond - but the feet are becoming less "grippy" and are starting to slide on my instrument while playing. This isn't good...is there some way to fix that?

For some reason I can't find their website, and am looking for replacement feet if I need to go that route (no luck so far). I've only had the SR since Jan 2020, which doesn't seem that long...but I do practice at least 6 days a week. These days I do multiple shorter daily sessions and tend to keep my instrument in the case between sessions, so the SR gets taken on/off quite a lot.

Replies (18)

January 1, 2021, 1:30 AM · Here is their website:

https://www.vlm-augustin.com/en/

Edited: January 1, 2021, 7:00 AM · Probably more convenient to buy them for here: https://cutt.ly/Hjuj1Ka

Weren't you going to use Pirastro's feet on it?

Edited: January 1, 2021, 6:54 AM · If the rubber is intact but has lost its grip, have you tried to wash it with dish soap? (also works for ping-pong rackets)
Edited: January 1, 2021, 7:58 PM · Nuska- your tip worked so well that I now need to struggle a bit to get it on my violin. I remember that from when it was new. It's the simple things that are easy to overlook, glad I asked, thanks!

David - thanks for the link. I'm still curious about the Piastro feet and will probably experiment at some point. For now my Diamond is acting like it's brand new, I will take that.

January 2, 2021, 3:27 AM · Catherine, great to hear. My own Diamond is slowly getting to that point too, so I'll follow your track this evening :-)
Edited: January 2, 2021, 11:10 AM · The feet on my VLM Diamond became so loose it was impossible to use. I got no help when I e-mailed the company. In the end I reverted to a wooden Kun model, which has some minor shortcomings (in my opinion), but it has stayed much more stable and reliable.
Edited: January 2, 2021, 11:14 AM · Catherine and Parker, how long did it last for you before it started to slip? Did you use to slide it across the violin when mounting?
Edited: January 2, 2021, 11:57 AM · About a year. The problem for me was not slippage of the feet, but rather the fact that the hinges for the feet gradually loosened, and there was no way to tighten them up. The whole SR then became impossibly wobbly, and wouldn't hold its position on the shoulder.
Edited: January 2, 2021, 12:02 PM · I didn't have anything like that Parker described. Rather the rubber just became less grippy - and using straight dishwash liquid did the trick. I did allow it to dry for several hours just in case any moisture remained. I've had it for almost exactly a year.

I also don't usually fold the legs, with my Bobelock case I don't need to and the hinges are just like new.

Edited: January 2, 2021, 12:06 PM · Maybe it became less grippy because you slide it a lot? It worn out. I always try to put it into place without sliding.
January 2, 2021, 4:46 PM · VLM Augustin offers replacement feet, but I doubt I will need them in the nearer future. The material on the VLM feet (as well as on the Korfker) show no signs of ageing at all after 2 years of use, while any Kuhn and Wolf feet used to show signs of wear and tear after a year. The wolf rubber tubes age rather rapidly even if nor in use.
Edited: January 2, 2021, 5:03 PM · Wolf shoulder rests are amateur products when compared to Kun and VLM, very rubbish. Kun is in the middle.
January 2, 2021, 5:45 PM · Many professionals use said Wolf "amateur" products. Forte Secondo (for instance) is not rare at all. The feet can be replaced anyway.

When I was in the Conservatory, Kun still used their old school feet, which also get destroyed with frequent use. Their newer feet are better/more durable.

Kun can be among the cheapest, but also very expensive as in the collapsible Bravo and the Voce, which was very recently discontinued (though still available at shops). As far as I know, the Voce is more expensive than the Diamond. Still, some professionals will only use their older, classic plastic models.

I have a *very* worn VLM Diamond and the feet still work perfectly despite the evident wear! It even lost ghe VLM loho in the middle (got ubglued and lost.) Surprised Ms. Kostyn's Diamond SR feet are not working well. The SR still is not wobbly at all either. Perhaps quality control is mixed or changed?

Edited: January 2, 2021, 6:06 PM · Maybe they used them for a long time because they never took the time to try something new. That doesn't change the fact that it is a crappy product for today's standards. They can even get rusty, imagine that.
January 2, 2021, 6:11 PM · I don't really slide my Diamond's feet David, and the rubber looks fine. I think the feet just needed cleaning.
January 2, 2021, 9:16 PM · The feet on the old-style plastic Kun SRs were easily replaceable when they wore out. You could buy the little latex rubber replacement sleeves from a luthier, or simply -- and more cheaply -- cut short lengths off a piece of latex surgical tubing. I kept a bit of tubing in my case for that purpose. The newer Kun models have feet very much like the VLM. Latex rubber grips very effectively.
January 4, 2021, 2:44 PM · Glad you found a solution. Would Kun feet fit on a VLM in a pinch? I know shoulder rest feet do sometimes need replacing after a period of time and sometimes feet are interchangeable.
Edited: January 4, 2021, 3:32 PM · I believe they should fit as long as the screw is similar, which they are (unlike a Wolf SR, with the very thick screws.) One could use VLM feet on a Kun and viceversa. Just be careful about the longer Kun legs, depending on how you adjust it left or right, as obviously you don't want a long screw to hit the wooden part your VLM rest (regular sized feet should be fine, as well as long screws when set up outside of the range of the rest itself.)

While you won't see the Kun Voce rest on Kun's official site anymore, they still sell the Voce legs, which are favored among some because they are *very* stable, and it is highly unlikely your violin will ever slip out of them while performing. Some players use Kun Voce legs on a Bravo model, though it does change the adjustment sideways, so you would have to slightly alter your current setup to whichever rest you equip these Voce legs with.

(The Voce feet may or not change the sound under the ear of your regular SR.)

(The Voce SR is still sold by many dealers-it is just no longer being produced, with the exception of the feet, as far as I know when I directly asked Kun customer service.)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe