Really disappointed with gewa cases... Who else has had problems?

December 27, 2020, 8:41 PM · I've had the gewa pure shaped violin case for less than 6 months and already the
- lock hinges are drastically loosing there spring and the paint is coming off them
- when I bought the case, the neck holder velcro thing was coming off the actual holder itself which I had to super glue and was made out of cardboard.
- blanket stitching is tearing apart after first week of use. (Looks cheaply done)
- bow spinners have have broken off and I can no longer store bows as I fell unsafe doing so.

This case is supposed to be a "great seller" and is often compared to the gewa air cases due to there strength. But I am not one but happy. I'm never buying a gewa case again! I don't heavily use my case ethier. You can spend much more less and get a good wooden bobelock case.

Has anyone else had problems with the gewa cases?

Cheers!

Replies (17)

December 27, 2020, 9:13 PM · If you search around this forum, you will find a number of reviews of Gewa cases. Not sure if those will all be talking about the model you have.
December 27, 2020, 10:05 PM · Someone on this site was talking about how wonderful the Gewa Pure Cases are. I don't have one myself, but I did steer a colleague of mine towards one since she was looking for a new case and she ended up buying one and I think she likes it quite a lot. I have the gewa air case and it's still going after I got it sometime early this year. It has none of the problems you are talking about. I think the main difference between the air and pure are the materials used for the shell and the lack of a combination lock on the pure. The air is made of thermoplastic while the pure is made of polycarbonate. The combination lock is just a luxury you don't really need, but it is nice. There are plenty of cases that get along fine without one. There some other differences inside of the case but it's all just to make the case more affordable.

My colleague's case still looks fine and she's had it for a few months now. Perhaps the one you got was just defective. Even then, don't swear off all Gewa cases just because this particular model didn't give you a good experience. Contact whoever you got the case from and see what they can do about it. I honestly think yours is just defective.

December 27, 2020, 10:46 PM · Where did you buy it from? If it’s that poorly made. Is there a chance it’s not genuine?
December 27, 2020, 11:05 PM · My luthier ordered it. I'm 99% sure it's genuine he ordered about 5 of them. Apparently when covid hit, it was stuck in New York for over 2 months. I live in New Zealand btw.
December 28, 2020, 12:13 AM · Perhaps something happened to it in the time it took to finally get to you. Sounds like it's a defective case if it is indeed genuine.
December 28, 2020, 2:14 AM · Perhaps it is just bad luck :(
December 28, 2020, 7:09 AM · Do Gewa cases come with any sort of warranty? 6 months in with these sorts of issues is worrying. If its genuine, I’d say you got a defective case. Contact gewa directly, there might be a bad batch out there.
Edited: December 28, 2020, 9:05 AM · I have had a Gewa Air shaped case for about 8 years, which I use mostly for airline travel and other rough-and-tumble, when I need something light and strong. It has proved itself tough and very well made, so I have no complaints. (Other than the fact that the top has to open out flat, a design flaw.) I'd say you likely have a defective case or possibly some kind of knock-off.
December 28, 2020, 9:08 AM · Yours is the first complaint I’ve heard about a GEWA case! There was a lot of excitement when the company set up their North American headquarters in my area, because people had been desperate to get them for years. The few that had gotten them in Europe and brought them over seemed to treasure them for their durability and functionality.

I don’t know how long your warranty was with the seller, but it would probably be worth asking. Did you bring any of the issues to their attention when they started?

All that being said, the Bobelock cases are beloved for their sturdiness. Until recently they were the most popular case for outfits. If you choose to get one in place of your Pure case, it’ll be money well spent.

December 28, 2020, 1:02 PM · Sounds like there's a good chance this is a fake. I'd contact the shop you bought it from.
December 28, 2020, 8:01 PM · If it is a genuine Gewa, wouldn't it be still under warranty?
December 29, 2020, 4:35 AM · Sounds like bad luck to me. I'm no fan of Gewa cases :-) but they are sold in the EU with a 2-year warranty by law. So, unless their core business is warranty service, you probably can try to have it replaced with another one and most likely you won't have any problems.
December 29, 2020, 11:37 AM · My wife and I have two of the Gewa Pure cases (shaped) for violin, and have banged them up a-plenty, bringing them with us as we made our way across the country back in August (2800+ miles), thrown on various luggage carts, stacked in the back of our SUV, etc. While they came out a little dirty (both were in white), we've not had any functional issues with them.

If it's a genuine Gewa, you probably got a dud, and it is still covered under warranty. I'd contact the shop you got it from to see if they can handle that for you, otherwise you can get in touch with them directly. It looks like as of 2018 they have a US office in Maryland.

December 29, 2020, 12:45 PM · Back when I started in the business (in the late 1970's) Gewa cases were considered to be among the best. Later, there seemed to be major quality issues, so I moved on to recommending cases like Musafia on the upper end, and Bobelock on the lower priced end.

Has Gewa managed to recover their former quality? I don't know, since once I've been burned, I look for better options and tend to stick with them.
December 29, 2020, 10:52 PM · Hmmm ok, thanks for the responses!
Edited: January 8, 2021, 5:53 AM · My observations:
Several colleagues have found that the clasps get slack and tend to open without warning. My two shaped cases (violin, and viola) "designed in Germany" (!) are made of their "Thermoshell" material, a stiff resin foam 1/4" thick: fairly tough, with good heat insulation. However, this material becomes crumbly within a few decades..
The interior of these cases is rudimentary, and I had to provide suspension myself, and ensure that the scroll and neck never touch the shell or bulkhead, even during shocks, not to mention the bridge! The oblong versions have less resistance to crushing, and tend to be piled up by by choir members behind the scenes..

I also have their violin+viola double case: an excellent plywood shell with a well-arched lid (my viola is very tubby), but with inner fittings presenting great danger to the instruments, and requiring much modification.

Edited: January 7, 2021, 12:59 AM · The only Gewa case I have is for 6 bows. It seems OK, although I've added extra padding for the tips.
Yeah, I hate latches, unless they are lockable.
A German case is stuck in New York on its way to New Zealand? Where does your luthier live, Patagonia?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe