Juilliard Pre-College

December 22, 2020, 4:48 PM · Hello! I am 14 years old and I plan on auditioning for the Juilliard Pre-College in the upcoming season.
I am just wondering about which would be the most adequate rep to fulfill the audition requirements.

The following audition requirements for my age are:
1.An etude on the level of Kreutzer, Fiorillo, Dont(op.37), and Rode.
2. 2 Contrasting movements of a concerto by Kabalevsky, Mozart, Bruch, Wieniawski, or Lalo
3.A movement of unaccompanied bach, or a contrasting piece too the concerto.

The pieces that I have learned that would fit the criteria:

1.Kreutzer 3,5,9,24
Dont(op.37) 9
2.Mozart in G Major(3) Mvmts 1 and 2
(I will be starting Bruch gm in the next 2 weeks but I'm not sure if that's enough time. But it's a possibility)
3.Bach Partita 3 Gavotte en Rondeau, Gigue
Pieces Praeludium and Allegro, Thais Meditation, Wieniawski Legende[just needs some minor polishing :)]

Replies (10)

December 22, 2020, 6:11 PM · I would trust your teacher on a recommendation for this, especially if they routinely are sending students to Pre-College.
December 22, 2020, 10:49 PM · I agree with Lydia, of course, but if your teacher has never prepared any of his/her students for these kinds of things (or has only done so rarely, or in the distant past), then you might scout around to get a couple of Skype lessons for the purpose of gaining that insight. During winter break might be a good time for that since your own schedule should be pretty flexible and people are traveling a lot less this year.

My own observation is that all of your listed repertoire is on the less-technically-challenging end of each category. When they say "Kreutzer level" studies they don't mean No. 3 or No. 5.

December 23, 2020, 11:03 AM · I'm just happy to see that at 68 I am almost pre-Julliard.

I figure that, all things scaled, by 145 I should be ready for my conservatory entrance exam!

Oh, and good luck Aidan!

December 23, 2020, 1:21 PM · While I am not personally familiar with auditioning for Juilliard Pre-college, my son goes to a similar program in the Chicago area (smaller and strings only, but same high level). I would say at 14 all the repertoire you listed is too low a level for acceptance. For example, at age 12 when my son applied, he played Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso and some of the harder movements of Partita 2. That's maybe on the high end for 12, but I'm pretty sure you need to be at a comparable level for Juilliard.

What has your teacher told you? Unless you can get significantly higher rep learned in time (I assume prescreens are around March/April?), you might want to wait a year.

December 23, 2020, 3:19 PM · Can't claim to know anything about the particular process, but I'd suggest playing the more technically challenging pieces from your list - pick Dont not Kreutzer, the Praeludium and Allegro not Thais.

Also I see there is a 'pre-submission' video - if you don't have Bruch ready for that are you allowed to submit Mozart for the pre-screening and have Bruch ready for the main audition?

Good luck!!

December 23, 2020, 5:19 PM · That’s a great idea, and I never thought about it. The prescreening video requires any two pieces(or two movements) and that is what is due by March 1st. By that time I will more than likely have a good first movement of Bruch because it’s pretty short and I practice a lot so I tend to finish things a little quicker then usual. I could do Kreisler or a Bach and Bruch mvmt 1 for pre-screening, and the audition is in the middle of May so that should be enough time to learn the 2nd mvmt. And I have my pieces or Bach as well as the Dont.
Edited: December 23, 2020, 7:39 PM · I disagree with Chris Keating in that I don't think there's really a delta between Kreutzer and Dont op. 37in difficulty; they're both intermediate-level etude books. I'd consider Rode harder than both, so if you were aiming for more difficulty, I'd pick one of the harder Rode caprices.

I was just glancing at the requirements page on their website, and if you take Susan's advice, you'd face tougher requirements next year as you'd be 15. To quote the site:

1. An étude on the level of Rode, Dont (Op. 35), Paganini, or Weiniawski.
2. A slow and fast movement from a substantial Romantic or contemporary concerto.
3. One movement of unaccompanied Bach.

But I think those guidelines for the 15+ students gives you a pretty good idea of where they'd want you to be at as a 14-year-old -- i.e. figuring that by the time you turn 15 you would be comfortably at that level.

The pieces that you're listing currently are a better match to their requirements for students age 11 or younger.

December 24, 2020, 3:49 AM · oh, my bad.... I'd confused Dont op 37 and Dont op 35.

Though I do read the guidelines as they are written, that a 14-year-old should play music from the list for 12-14-year-olds and not be put off if they can't play the rep for 15+ year-olds yet! If they meant "a 14 year old who doesn't know Bruch won't get in", they would have said so...

Edited: December 24, 2020, 12:46 PM · I would assume so as well, but there's a range to the listed repertoire. If the minimum acceptable level at age 15 is a "substantial" concerto, then the minimum acceptable level at age 14 is presumably repertoire that suggests that the student will be playing at that level by the next year.

Given that the audition reqs say "Kabalevsky, Mozart, Bruch, Wieniawski or Lalo" for the age range of 12-14, one might guess that they reckon more on Kabalevsky (or Mozart 4/5) for the 12-year-olds, and the Bruch-ish tier for the 14-year-olds. There will obviously be some flexibility because students playing the same piece of repertoire will play it at different levels of mastery based on their teacher's expectations.

December 24, 2020, 3:31 PM · wow! I never said I want to become a grand soloist..... but.... do you know this jazz standard, "beautiful love"?
I like that....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

MyLuthier
MyLuthier

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe