Repertoire Sequence

November 20, 2020, 9:51 AM · My Teacher assigned me Mozart 3 about 5 weeks ago, and I’m about 2/3 of the way finished, and she has asked me what piece I want to play next. I’m not too sure what piece I think would be best. I want something that is a little bit of a challenge. Thank you :)

Replies (11)

November 20, 2020, 12:01 PM · My youngest finished Mozart 3 not long ago and she is now playing DeBeriot Concerto 9. After that she will do Viotti and Kabalevsky, along with some more of Bach Partita 3 and some other small pieces.
Edited: November 23, 2020, 7:38 PM · "Viotti" is ambiguous considering he wrote hundreds of violin concertos. The No. 22 and No. 23 are popular. Personally I like the No. 22 the best. I think it's a fine piece and it's just as good of a violin concerto as Kabalevsky and better than DeBeriot No. 9 (in terms of musical content -- my own subjective evaluation). I think Viotti 22 is close to Mozart 3 in that regard, and it's unfortunate that V22 has been labeled a "student" concerto.
November 23, 2020, 10:58 PM · I think Viotti 23 is meaningfully easier than 22. Pedagogically, 23 is too easy after Mozart 3.
November 24, 2020, 2:32 AM · I'd agree with the above regarding Viotti 22. Viotti 23 would likely be too easy for you considering you would have just finished learning Mozart 3. After Viotti, you could do Kabalevsky or Haydn C major and then could start venturing into the likes of Bruch or Conus.
November 24, 2020, 5:31 AM · Bruch concerto no.1.
November 24, 2020, 11:12 AM · Sorry, I should have qualified that Viotti statement a bit. My daughter switched teachers recently so she will be doing Viotti 23 as her teacher fixes issues with her technique. It likely would be too easy for the OP unless he, too, needs some posture rehabilitation. :)
November 24, 2020, 1:04 PM · Vitali Chaconne is another good option. So are a bunch of the usual Kreisler works if you haven't done them. Or one of the easier Sarasates -- Malaguena might be doable. Or the Wieniawski Legende. No shortage of stuff at this level. And if you don't know the Kroll Banjo and Fiddle, that's fun.
November 24, 2020, 1:06 PM · My daughter did Mozart 3, Mozart 5, then Bruch. Along with Bartok Roumanian, Praeludium and Allegro, and Partitas while doing 5.
November 25, 2020, 10:00 AM · I am going to take a break from standard concertos and sonatas to focus on some showpieces. I am a big fan of the Vitali like Lydia had mentioned, but I also like Scene de Ballet, and Praeludium and Allegro. Which piece would you say would be best to learn given the skills and technique utilized in the Mozart.
November 25, 2020, 3:34 PM · I absolutely loved learning Scene de Ballet. It made me feel like a "grown up" violinist. Even though it really isn't that hard, it looks and feels virtuosic.

P&A is practically a rite of passage for intermediate violinists. It's packed with useful technique, and is worth learning.

The Vitali is quite different in mood and technical needs. While it's not really played in the concert halls these days, as "recently" as Heifetz, it got performed by professionals.

All of them would be perfectly decent choices. Your teacher would probably have a preference between them, though.

November 26, 2020, 12:14 AM · If I recall correctly, I did Hayden G major, Mozart 3, then Scene de Ballet...ish.

De Beriot was a teacher, after all, so much of his output was written with the expressed purpose of preparing his students for the more advanced Romantic repertoire.

If you're chewing through Mozart 3 (the whole concerto and cadenza, that is) inside of 3 months, it may be time to look at tackling Bruch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe