String thickness/diameter

November 16, 2020, 2:47 PM · Is there a website where we can check the thickness of the many strings? The same way that we can check tension, etc.
I've been using Titanium Solo, I really like them, except the fact that they're thinner, because I don't have large hands it makes it harder for me to play 5ths.

Replies (2)

November 16, 2020, 6:02 PM · Very few brands state the diameter-some gut string makers do.

Plain gut is very thick despite the lower tension, though I am almost certain this is not the answer you seek. Thicker aluminum wound Ds are a possible solution, but not an option in most sets, including Titanium Solo.

The very thick Dominant "Heavy" set with an aluminum D fits the bill (big strings), but will likely not be a pleasure to play vs your current favorites.

Solution? Practice fifths more until you are used to playing them with any type of string, including the thin ones that most sets come with. I have long fingers, but also a skeleton-thin hand with pointy, non-meaty fingers, so I had to develop a way to play fifths (and vibrato, etc.) well, even with strings with a wider diameter. Flattening my fingertips as required was all that was needed.

November 17, 2020, 1:17 PM · Adjusting distances between strings would solve your problem. A new nut and bridge with slightly smaller distances between string grooves need to be done (by a luthier of course). The string distances are not perfectly standardized. Firstly, a good luthier takes the increasing gauge from E to G (when dividing the whole range into three spaces) into consideration. Secondly, the spaces may be done slightly narrower or wider according to a customer's fingers and taste.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe