E-string

Edited: November 11, 2020, 5:37 PM · Hello!

I just noticed some dirt-like material on my E-string. Does this mean that the metal is wearing away or something? My E-string is a little rough and goes slightly sharp after I release my bow from the open string. Is it going to break or be unusable soon? I have an audition this week.

Related question:
What are the chances of injury due to a string snap?

Replies (8)

November 11, 2020, 6:11 PM · It may be wear from your fingers not necesarilly going to snap, but I would replace ASAP anyway. From my understanding, injuries from string snaps are not all that common
Edited: November 11, 2020, 6:12 PM · For how much time have you been using that E-string? Which string is it?
November 11, 2020, 6:18 PM · I have been using that E-string, which is a dominant E-string, for between six and twelve months.
November 11, 2020, 8:10 PM · Odds of injury are essentially zero. If your string is false it's gotta go, especially before an audition.
November 11, 2020, 8:36 PM · Time to change it then, and try another E string, Pirastro Gold or Optima Goldbrokat.
November 11, 2020, 10:04 PM · If your open string is changing pitch, it's definitely time to change. The good thing is that, since most E strings are made of steel, they are quite dimensionally stable (a plus if you have an audition next week), and also dirt cheap.

Goldbrokat and Jargers cost under $2 apiece and are very easy to buy at local stores or through one of the big dealers.

November 12, 2020, 8:46 AM · Or why not go for broke! (Warchal Amber E will cost you $8.76 at Shar . . .)
November 12, 2020, 12:49 PM · There are so many string "experiments" yet not done.
I recall about one year ago when I tried a set of Tricolore gut strigs one one of my fiddles, but I retained the Peter Infeld Platinum E string already on and it so overpowered the balance of the Tricolores that I had to put on a Goldbrokat E for proper balance - but then the whole fiddle sounded to my ears like it was at least 10DB down from where it had been and where I wanted it.

One of my violas had a troublesome C string for 20 years - just could not find a way to get a good sound to my ears from any C string I put on that instrument. So I took it over to IFSHIN VIOLINS and was fortunate to get a sales "clerk" who is a violist. He recommended I switch to a low tension C string and also a low-tension A string to balance that even better. By installing low tension Dominant A & C strings my problems were solved. He said "I could perform on this! That made my day. (As does SHAR, IFSHIN hires good players to work the front of the store (and good-to great luthiers for the benches).

Hamlet said "Get thee to a nunnery!" I say "Get thee to a luthier!" or at least a GOOD violin shop.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe