Music lessons in New Zealand

Edited: November 8, 2020, 8:34 PM · A friend of my daughter's, and her family, are moving to New Zealand. Does anyone here have any idea how this family might go about finding private music instruction when they arrive there? They are clever people who can surely figure this out, but any sort of contacts or helpful information would be warmly appreciated. I realize New Zealand is not a small place (roughly the same land area as the State of Colorado) and I do not know exactly where this family is headed.

Replies (5)

November 9, 2020, 3:07 AM · NZ has 2 big orchestras: APO and NZSO in Auckland and Wellington, respectively. So if your friend will be living in one of these 2 cities, there are plenty of great teachers.
November 9, 2020, 3:36 AM · Hello Mr.Deck

We have a member on this site from New Zealand, who is a professor named Carlo Ballara and perhaps you could contact him.

November 9, 2020, 1:03 PM · Thanks to Daniel and Jeff for suggestions. I will contact Carlo. If it helps at all, the family is moving to Auckland.
November 10, 2020, 2:34 AM · It is lovely to be invited into a discussion. I am based in Christchurch, New Zealand’s 2nd largest city by population. It is an hour and half to fly to Auckland, so I cannot help too directly. That said...

There is a Registered Music Teachers Society and you can contact then to find a teacher close to you. Auckland, although only having a population of 2 million is very spread out. The best teachers are probably not members as they have no need to be. There is also Suzuki Violin Teacher’s Society if that floats your boat.

The suggestion to contact Auckland Phiharmonic Orchestra is probably the best route to find a good violinist. Whether they are great teachers will have to be trial and error, unless you can get a local recommendation. Finally, if you want a very serious teacher I would recommend you get in touch with Steven Larson at the university. He is very approachable and his students are always very well taught.

Lesson costs in Auckland are $70-110NZD an hour depending on the qualifications and experience of the teacher.

Cheers Carlo

November 10, 2020, 10:39 AM · It won't help them in Auckland but for Wellington, my daughter's cello teacher's brother, Doug Beilman, was second violinist with the New Zealand String Quartet for many years, and teaches privately. I believe the quartet is associated with the conservatory there, which would be another resource, in addition to the symphony.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe