How is this violin judged only by its wood grain, varnish and craftmanship (Luthiers plz help)

Edited: November 6, 2020, 10:40 AM · This is a Chinese handmade violin made by a rather trustworthy maker in China. (To add up, He's got a few certificates of merit for tone/workmanship in the VSA competition. So at least it shouldn't be that bad)
It costs about 5000USD.
I was wondering how good is this violin just according to the pics, like are there major flaws or turnoffs, and if its craftsmanship is overall good
Luthiers pls help
Or should I just buy a Italian workshop one, which saves me a lot of troubles but probably not so cost-effective
pic here
The Chinese Violin made by a rather trustworthy maker

Replies (5)

Edited: November 6, 2020, 9:23 AM · Speaking as a nobody, I'd say the G string's nut action looks a little high.
I'm "impressed" by the button, which appears not only to be flamed, the first such I've ever seen, but also to be two-piece like the back, so veneered?
November 6, 2020, 9:46 AM · Oh and btw it is said to be a Strad 1714 soil model. Wonder if that helps?
November 6, 2020, 5:18 PM · The maker said that he would set up the violin in a few days and by then I might get to try it. Will have to see how it sounds ofc
November 9, 2020, 8:44 AM · help...
Edited: November 9, 2020, 10:44 AM · Gordon - The normal way is that the button is made as part of the back, from the same piece of glued-together wood as the back. All the maker has to do is remember not to saw through that little projection when they are sawing out the outline.

Luis - all the players are going to tell you to buy an instrument from among many you have been able to try in person. They have pretty instruments in the shops too if that's what you want. Go someplace that has a really strong reputation with pro players for doing good setups.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe