Web Information on violin makers

November 4, 2020, 3:28 PM · Hello, I am a violinist of 20 years and am looking for a 1/2 size beginner instrument for my 8-year old. I have been trolling Ebay looking for a used student violin that is better than the VSO's out there on Amazon, but for less than $200. I have tried researching the violinmakers, but I cannot seem to find the right search words to bend the Google algorithms to my will. Does anyone know of any good web resources to read about violin makers through the last century? I am looking at a Tim Lee instrument at the moment but s I said, I can't really find much info on violinmakers. Thank you :)

Replies (4)

November 4, 2020, 4:02 PM · Your best bet might be to find a dealer you can trust. They will have a huge supply of used student violins to try, and you might find that your best deal is renting. 8-year-olds have a way of outgrowing their instruments, and the bid/ask spread will eat you alive if you try to get rid of it in favor of a 3/4 size.
November 4, 2020, 4:08 PM · What Stephen wrote.
November 4, 2020, 4:25 PM · I rented a 1/2 size Jay-Haide violin for each of my granddaughters at that stage. They were really good small violins. I rented them from Ifshin Violins (now in El Cerrito, CA), one of my local shops, so I could check them out and find a really good one. I also rented a 3/4 size a few years later and it was even better. I had also tried the full size and came to the conclusion that one could do better with the small-size ones at the same price because all the small ones were priced the same as the lowest-price full size, rather than pricing them by quality. Since then, Jay-Haide has the "A l'Ancienne" antiqued brand categories for full size that are more expensive and better.

Jay-Haide for sure! You rent by the month and the prices were fair.

November 6, 2020, 6:58 PM · The small Neuner and Hornsteiner fiddles are fine fractional instruments, but not for less than $200. $200 wouldn't even cover a decent set-up and strings. Renting is probably better than what you will find at that price point.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe