Repertoire suggestions please

Edited: November 1, 2020, 7:07 AM · Hi all, I am an adult returner to the violin and currently working through Trinity Grade 5. Recently upgraded both my violin and my bow and beginning to become happier with how I am sounding (i am not very confident in my ability)
I would love some suggestions of other pieces to work on other than my current exam pieces if you wouldn't mind.
I want something that will challenge me but not put me way out of my depth if that makes sense.
Thank you in advance and I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.
Tara

Replies (9)

November 1, 2020, 7:40 AM · “Trinity Grade 5” means nothing to me; could you name some specific pieces and/or études that you are currently playing, please?
November 1, 2020, 8:00 AM · Thank you for your reply,
I have recently got the Kreutzer 42 caprices but I have only worked on the first 3 so far. My exam pieces are Corelli Allegro Op.5 No. 3 Movt.5, Somewhere over the Rainbow jazz arrangement by Iles and Arioso by Jeffrey Wilson.
I also have some Pleyel op.8 duos and op.48 duos.
I love Bach and Mozart especially but worry that it will all be above my playing ability.
Edited: November 1, 2020, 8:32 AM · I forgot, I have done some work on Dvorak Sonatina Op. 100 as well
Edited: November 1, 2020, 2:09 PM · I would tackle Dont Op. 37 before Kreutzer, if you haven't. What's your teacher situation?

Edit: Mary Ellen makes a good point below about Kreutzer vs. Dont. Also, you can try Telemann for some unaccompanied playing, even though it's still pretty tricky.

Edited: November 1, 2020, 9:25 AM · Although in general I agree with doing Dont 37 before Kreutzer, the first several Kreutzer etudes (beginning with number two) are easier than those found at the beginning of Dont op 37.

For the OP, the following pieces come to mind as possibilities. Of course you should discuss any repertoire with your current teacher. Boy Paganini (Mollenhauer), Dancla Airs Varies op 89 (might be stretching it a bit for the OP), Adoration (Borowski), Fiocco Allegro.

I can’t think of any Mozart at the appropriate level but these are the easiest movements of unaccompanied Bach, which would likely be within the OP’s grasp: Allemande from the d minor partita, and Gigue from the E Major.

November 1, 2020, 9:41 AM · Thank you both for your replies.
I have a wonderful teacher that I have an hours lesson with every week and I played in a small ensemble group she conducts before lockdown here in the UK.
Unfortunately, we are going back into a lockdown so will now not have a lesson with her for at least a month.
I will look at getting the sheet music you have suggested.
November 1, 2020, 9:49 AM · Try your lesson with Skype. It's surprisingly effective.
November 1, 2020, 10:33 AM · For American people on this site, Trinity is an alternative to ABRSM in the UK - roughly the same standard for each grade, arguably slightly easier. Try Encore violin book3 (Published by ABRSM). This has a good selection of pieces your level, my favourite teaching piece being Pastorale by Oskar Rieding.
November 1, 2020, 9:28 PM · Dont op. 37 is hard.

How many Seitz concertos have you played?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe