I just released my music practice journal app for iPhone, Andante!

October 31, 2020, 7:11 PM · Hi violinist.com!

I want to preface this by saying I don't mean to advertise - I'm a musician in college (not a company) and I really want to spread the word about a practice journal app I've been working on for a really long time. I'm excited to see how it will help people practice and stay motivated because it's been working great for myself and friends who have tested it.

You can get it for free on the app store, and see screenshots and more on my marketing website!
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/andante-practice-journal/id1530262372
https://andante.app

About the app

Andante describes a simple, walking pace; it feels calm and serene while also constantly moving forward with intention. That idea is what drove the creation of this app - creating a music practice journal that promotes calm, meditative practice as you progress through your musical journey.

Andante does this in a few ways. It provides one place to keep a log of your practice sessions as well as a journal where you can write about anything you want, so you don’t have to keep track of everything in your head. You can track your mood and focus to identify patterns in your practicing so you can achieve the most meditative, productive practice possible. You can keep yourself motivated to keep moving forward with intention by setting goals and seeing charts.

Features

- Practice live with a timer, metronome, and audio recorder or manually add sessions with ease.
- Track your mood and focus and see charts that help you understand your practicing.
- Streak counter to motivate you to practice every day.
- Daily practice goals take streaks even further by setting how long you want to practice each day. See your daily goal progress on your Home Screen with iOS 14 Home Screen widgets.
- Charts and data. Visualize your progress with calendars and charts. See your practice time over the last 7 days, last month, or last year. See when you have the best mood by seeing trends between mood and time of day. And so much more!
- Minimalist design. It's important that nothing gets in the way of your practicing. Andante is designed to be as clean and simple as possible while still providing robust features.

About me

My name is Miles, and I’m a musician in college. I originally started making Andante to help myself with my violin practice, and I would work on it every day to add features that would help me even more. Once I started giving it to friends and seeing how it helps people stay motivated, I was encouraged to take the project very seriously and make Andante as excellent as possible. I hope that Andante can help with your practice journey!

Replies (5)

November 1, 2020, 10:33 AM · I'm so excited for this! Can't wait to try it out, thanks for posting.
November 1, 2020, 1:01 PM · Any plans to make it available for Android?
November 1, 2020, 9:15 PM · This looks great!
November 2, 2020, 11:23 AM · The app looks great so far, Miles! I especially love the sleek interface; so many handy music apps are made by tasteless programmers that create hard-to-use and clunky interfaces... If I may, I'd have some suggestions that I, personally, would love to see implemented to turn me into a frequent user (as streaks and graphs aren't what I feel I'm missing in my practice):

- I hate having to open two different (and in my case very slow) apps to pull up a tuner and a metronome, so if you'd implement a tuner into Andante, that would be very compelling. I think that this fits into the list of essentials when starting a practice session. An additional wish of mine would be a very basic selection of settings for both. Being able to choose the frequency for the A (so I can keep switching between 443 and 415 :P), and perhaps being able to set a measure for the metronome so that it highlights the first beat in, say, a 1/2 or 3/4 measure.

- I'd love to have a dedicated corner aside from the "session notes" to write down when I've last rehaired the bow or changed the strings so that I don't have to go through receipts and messages to find that info. Maybe even with a little reminder set to a certain number of months, or something like that.

As a somewhat tech-savvy person I'm aware of home much work all of this would be, so I think that it'd be only fair for both features to be "hidden" behind the pro-paywall, but this would definitely be a strong selling point in my opinion, because the last thing I want is a third app on my phone, so as long as it doesn't provide me with what I need from those two other basic apps, I probably won't switch, and perhaps I'm not the only person that feels that way.
Either way, best of luck and thanks for providing us with such a useful tool!

November 4, 2020, 10:21 PM · The only feature I'd like to see is availability for droid.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe