Violin bows

Edited: November 1, 2020, 1:02 PM · Can I get an opinion about Eastman carbon fibre violin bows and compare with other cf bows
Thanks

Replies (20)

Edited: October 28, 2020, 3:27 AM · Terry, if you are in the USA, check out Fiddlershop and the Fiddlerman forum. I guess you are in the UK, since you spell it fibre. I get a lot of my stuff from this place: -
https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/carbon-fibre-violin-bows
Cardiff Violins have been recommended to me.
If you're in OZ/NZ, I don't know.
Be aware that a rehair costs £50-£70, so if your bow costs that or less, then it's better to replace it if and when.
October 28, 2020, 7:21 AM · The Cadenza two star carbon fiber is a good bow. Compares well to others at the same price range. Many of the Chinese carbon fiber bows are fairly similar to each other. They are made using the same process and in many cases they are made by the same manufacturer in China. You will be miles ahead with a CODA or JonPaul, but it depends on your budget. Some additional thoughts on carbon fiber bows: https://adbowsllc.com/2019/01/30/carbon-fiber-bows/
October 28, 2020, 7:21 AM · The Cadenza two star carbon fiber is a good bow. Compares well to others at the same price range. Many of the Chinese carbon fiber bows are fairly similar to each other. They are made using the same process and in many cases they are made by the same manufacturer in China. You will be miles ahead with a CODA or JonPaul, but it depends on your budget. Some additional thoughts on carbon fiber bows: https://adbowsllc.com/2019/01/30/carbon-fiber-bows/
Edited: October 28, 2020, 9:14 AM · I have the Cadenza "Master" (three-star) bows. I have two violin bows and my violinist daughter has one too, and I have a viola bow. My cellist daughter auditioned a Cadenza but chose the CodaBow (from Linda West in Santa Barbara CA) instead. I like my bows, but from time to time I do wonder whether I would do better with a fine wooden bow. The last time Josh Henry was in town for a local cello festival, he brought a selection of several dozen violin bows with him, and I tried maybe 15 -- I let Mr. Henry choose the ones I tried. Honestly I could not really feel or hear any difference among them -- or any difference vs. my CF bow. But I would like to have had a confederate to help me test them blind. I have conflicting biases -- on the one hand I'd love to be a member of the caste of violinist that opines about the superior "sound" of expensive bows, but on the other hand I'm not keen to spend $8000 on a violin bow. Another time I had the opportunity to try my bow vs. a Peccatte bow and a Kittel bow (both are priceless antiques). Again I could not feel or hear any difference. My tone-production technique is probably just not good enough to realize whatever difference there may be, and I already know that my hearing is compromised because I have constant ringing in my ears.

I bought my bows from a local music school and paid about 20% less than retail. The owner of the music school (himself an excellent pro violinist and the owner of the Peccatte bow and the Kittel bow) loves these Cadenza Three Star bows -- he teaches with them and sells them to his intermediate students (he does not profit), but he does not perform with them. He goes to the wholesaler and plays them, one after another, selecting the better ones to buy, maybe a dozen at a time. There is probably some difference even among mass-produced CF bows, but I would rather he choose because I'm sure I would not be able to feel it (to say nothing of hearing it). The same gentleman selected my viola for me -- I bought it sight-unseen, and I am quite happy with the outcome.

October 28, 2020, 10:46 AM · You cant go wrong and very unlikely to later regret purchasing a good carbon bow such as Coda or Jon Paul, not familiar with Eastman.

When testing bows i think that I can tell the difference between higher end wood and carbon fiber bows when looking at them but not so sure I could if I was asked to tell one from another blindfolded.

October 28, 2020, 12:47 PM · "Should I buy the latest Ford Fiesta?"

"You can't go wrong with a Lamborghini or a Ferrari."

October 28, 2020, 3:16 PM · I haven't tried the Eastman CF bows, but I have tried a variety of CF bows. I currently own a Revelle and a Fiddlerman. The Fiddlerman is excellent for the price. I purchased the Revelle bow in person and tried out a number of different models and brands. I have been impressed by the Revelle bows. I have the Falcon, but the Woody, Phoenix and Raven are all well made quality bows that perform very well. Even with the same model, there are noticeable differences from bow to bow with CF, so it's best to test them out in person. You may also find that one particular bow works better for your instrument than another. Without trying a bow out in person for under $300USD, I'd recommend the Revelle Phoenix.
Edited: October 29, 2020, 3:10 AM · I have a Col Legno Standard. It's fabulous for the money.

(I also have a Coda Diamond GX. It's OK for the money)

October 29, 2020, 12:03 PM ·
If you find a bow you like and it cost less money than a re-hair, count yourself lucky and don't throw it away when it comes time for a re-hair.

Just get it re-haired.

There is no guarantee you will like the next inexpensive bow you buy, and you will be doing the environment a favor.

October 29, 2020, 12:41 PM · I am told that a rehairer may refuse to rehair a bow that is below a certain price/quality level.
October 29, 2020, 1:17 PM · You've gotten a lot of solid advice about these bows generally and how they work for people on v.com. The problem is that none of the posters play your violin. However these bows sound on these peoples' instruments, they will sound different on your violin. There is no substitute for trying out a bunch of them and having someone play your violin with the ones that sound good to you so you can hear how they will sound to others.
October 29, 2020, 1:18 PM · My teacher does this - he stumbled across a $50 student bow that is balanced perfectly for him and he uses it for lessons. I think it irritates him each time he has it rehaired as the rehair costs as much as the bow - but he really likes how the stick feels.
Edited: October 29, 2020, 6:53 PM · I also have a cheap (~$50?) wood bow that has the right combination of weight, balance, strength. I use it a lot. Instead of rehairing I just gave it base layer of cello rosin. At the low price level for wooden bows I think the octagonal design is better than the round. The corners act like reinforcing bars without adding a lot of extra weight, and are less likely to warp.
November 6, 2020, 12:14 PM ·
November 6, 2020, 12:19 PM · Gordon I did get on the string zone but was surprised that they did not list Eastman Cadenza bows. Thanks for the web site
Trrry
November 11, 2020, 3:46 PM · Hi OPaul!

Weel, I think this is the point of ..... hahaha getting interesting. An interesting specimen, or more specimens can eventually turn into some sort of a motivational energy, a ...... hahaha!

The manganese mineral component rosin is very good for everything, but they won't take you seriously. As for bow hair, I think without the rosin, it is impossible to maintain a good , healthy traction on the strings.

Aha, well, paull, I think the reason it's difficult to get a good music education (which, the lack of, I mean, if you know that, then you can also learn to read a score better, I mean good bow technique just would not tolerate that).

so, good chrismax, eat well, and try to work, definitely try to work harder!

November 11, 2020, 10:33 PM · Your posts, Krisztian, are always food for thought. Maybe not the most nourishing food this time ... maybe Cheez Whiz.
Edited: November 12, 2020, 4:01 AM · Terry, no shop sells every product. The number of Eastman products thestringzone sells is limited (I have my eye on the master viola).
If Eastman are more popular in Canada, that may be coincidental.

Without knowing anything about USA/Canada trade deals, or in fact anything about Canada, I'd suggest Fiddlershop in Florida (there's a link from this forum on the right of your screen) might be your best bet in your price range. Their carbon bows are rated very highly for the money.

https://fiddlershop.com/collections/bows/product-type_violin-bows+size_4-4+brand_fiddlerman

November 13, 2020, 11:46 AM · Hey Paul!

Don't worry..... I'm sre we'll eat whizz cheeze one day. I hink at lest 30 - 45 minutes are necessary so you feel comfortable with another person... (unless.... well... forgive me, I would not talk, or write about that).

But... As you were concerning your worries about my lucid states (thanks), I think I'm out of the tunnel... the long dark night. The question is, how much does it take, 10 euros, 20 euros, so you are getting foole into another bad road....

Ys, I'm talking about that. So, I (and others) think, that you have to act now, so if you get fooled, it is not such a bad position anyway...

Mrry xmas!

November 16, 2020, 8:27 AM · As to Canada and the USA, there's the USMCA in spite of all Trump's bluster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States%E2%80%93Mexico%E2%80%93Canada_Agreement

That explains why so many Fenders and Gibsons are made in Mexico, lol.

In short, Terry, go to Fiddlershop.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe