Violin Dreams

October 27, 2020, 9:59 AM · I must spend more time thinking about my violin than I realized. I rarely remember my dreams but last night I dreamed about the new bridge my luthier made for my instrument. The violin in my dream had two sets of strings, one set on top of the other, and the winding kept coming off one of them.

I can't be the only one with violin dreams, what are yours?

Replies (14)

October 27, 2020, 10:05 AM · Perhaps it was a viola d'amore calling out to you from the subliminal space. I almost never dream, but I've had a couple since my father passed away where we're listening to music together - pretty nice.
October 27, 2020, 12:51 PM · viola d'amore? Toddling over to Google to distract myself from work and check this out :-)
October 30, 2020, 10:54 AM · Arnold Steinhardt had violin dreams too. :)
October 30, 2020, 11:41 AM · Check this video
October 31, 2020, 1:16 PM · I’ve had several. Each one involves damage occuring to the violin via some type of accident
October 31, 2020, 1:47 PM · I have had several over my life time, and I suspect I have "violin dreams" quite often without remembering them, as our brains tend to recompose an alternate reality based on recent events.

I did remember a dream of my violin smashed to wooden pieces near my bedroom some years ago. It never had such an accident, but it did fall later on-but accidents happen (I do not believe in dreams as omens or forecasts of the future to come-novoffense intended.)

I dream a lot, and easily as soon as I fall asleep. I tend to remember much of them as soon as I wake up, but then quickly forget. A few days ago for some reason I was practicing Viotti 22 near my case, or trying to record it. My mother was nearby. Room was a mix of different environments in my life, as usual in my dreams. Remember the descending trill part of the first movement. I haven't seen my mother nor practiced said concerto in a while-guess the brain was making up things.

Tartini's devil trill sonata's origin story may be partially factual-although no devil has taught me any music, I remember an odd dream when I was in my (late?) twenties in which the background music was similar to Paganini violin and guitar works constantly playing on my head, but all the music was original. I am NOT a composer-the brain made up all the music based on Paganini, but it wasn't Paganini music at all, because I could not recognize it and I was enthralled by the "new music" playing on my head. When I woke up, I remembered some but as is common forgot it other than it was reminiscent of that type of Paganini piece. It has also happened later (though I remember even less); dream-exclusive music on my head that is soon forgotten. I assume Tartini could have at least remembered some of it after a dream, quickly wrote it down, made up the devil part, and then compose the rest from there.

October 31, 2020, 2:51 PM · The Hardanger fiddle is pretty cool! That isn't my preferred style of music but the effect of the additional strings is interesting.

The Viol d'amour looks massive!

November 6, 2020, 11:22 AM · I had one the other night - a viola dream, anyway. I was traveling somewhere on a plane (haven't done that in a while...) and had my viola with me. When I got off the plane I realized I'd forgotten the instrument on the plane. So, I tried to go back to retrieve it, and it was increasingly difficult. First was the narrow spiral staircase to climb back into the plane, then there wasn't an aisle, just solid seats I had to climb over... then the alarm went off and I woke up - never to have made it back to my row where the viola was. Yikes!
Edited: November 7, 2020, 11:20 AM · And you didn't pick up a genuine Strad violin on the way as a sort of compensation? What kind of a rotten dream is THIS?
November 17, 2020, 3:16 PM · Before I started playing (quite late in life) I had intense violin dreams starting in my teens. I was always just coming on stage to perform as part of an ensemble with an important solo. In some dreams I was panicking, not knowing my part. In one version when we stated to play it all magically came together and was perfect, in the other iteration of the same dream I was frozen and disaster ensued. The other other violin dream just consisted of me playing for myself, content and happy that I could play. All my violin dreams stopped the moment I finally picked up a violin and drew the bow across the strings for the first time.
November 17, 2020, 3:35 PM · @Arnie Exactly haha
November 20, 2020, 12:20 PM · Anyone got the time and brains to write a parody of the Nightmare Song from Iolanthe?
November 22, 2020, 3:01 AM · Not mine, but reported from a VPO violinist.
'I dreamed I was playing Bruckner 5, then I woke up and I was playing Bruckner 5!'
November 22, 2020, 3:13 AM · I've had the same recurring dream (or better, nightmare) throughout my life. I'm onstage ready to play a concert (usually in a quartet or anyway a chamber group) and I'm first violin.

The hall is full, people have stopped coughing, they've dimmed the lights... and guess what? It's the first time I see the score. I have to sight read, and I've always been lousy at it. The terror, the terror...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe