Merging videos / virtual ensembles

October 25, 2020, 4:13 PM · Can someone recommend software for iPhone or IPad for merging videos together? I’d like to record individual parts of an ensemble and put them together. Apologies if this has already been covered.

Replies (10)

October 25, 2020, 4:34 PM · I don't recommend editing video on an iPad, unless you really have no other choice. I don't know what apps exist for Apple devices, but in your shoes I would download Sony Vegas from one of those Ukranian websites. It's very powerful software, and you may as well learn it now that video is becoming so important.
October 25, 2020, 8:37 PM · Not sure if this would work but there is a free trial available for Media Composer by Avid Technology.

https://www.avid.com/media-composer

(They also produce music notation software)

October 29, 2020, 8:42 AM · FYI, I found the Acapella app to be very adequate for what I’m trying to do.
November 4, 2020, 9:58 AM · Here’s a video I recorded with Acapella. It works really well. If you want to play around with it, make sure to use wired headphones or earbuds. Wireless ones will introduce a slight delay and throw off the timing.

https://youtu.be/np8ZsjMc1zE

Edited: November 4, 2020, 12:57 PM · Smiley -- Nice job! With Acapella, do you record one part, then listen to the playback while recording subsequent parts?

Also, was your audio recorded with your iPhone/iPad? I've tried to improve the sound quality (using iMovie) of videos recorded with my iPhone, but after experimenting for some time, I've realized that it might be best just to leave the audio alone. Either that or invest in better recording equipment or software. The audio quality of your video seems to be better than mine, so I'm curious to know how you recorded it.

November 4, 2020, 2:19 PM · Somewhere there was an explanatory video from the San Antonio Symphony about their Mahler 2 (which is still on YouTube). If that can be found, it might have the right information.
November 10, 2020, 10:59 AM · Hi Gene, sorry for the delayed response. I just used my iPhone for everything (audio and video). The only additional equipment I used is a tripod stand that holds the iPhone in place; easier than trying to lean it against books or balance the phone on a table. There are quite a few phone stands you can order from Amazon.
November 10, 2020, 11:01 AM · And yes, with Acapella, you record one part at a time and as you record each subsequent part, you can hear all the previous parts so you do get the ensemble experience.
November 10, 2020, 1:47 PM · Smiley -- Thanks for your response! I used my iphone to record as well. So, the only other variables are the room acoustics, the violin and the violinist. Lol
November 12, 2020, 9:04 AM · Hi Gene, the violinist is fine. If you have any issues, change the violin or acoustics :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

House of Rosin
House of Rosin

Holiday Shopping Business Directory
Holiday Shopping Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe