Identifying Quartet music

October 16, 2020, 8:44 AM · Greetings all.
I am wondering is the quartet music from 0:18 to 0:26 Vivaldi's composition?
The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqY6THk_PI&t=52s
Thanks.

Replies (13)

October 16, 2020, 10:44 AM · Sounds like Haydn or Mozart to me
October 16, 2020, 7:51 PM · Sounds more like Haydn to me but I can’t place it. Definitely not Vivaldi.
October 17, 2020, 12:43 AM · That is Drottningholms musiken by Johan Helmich Roman, the first movment in the suite. Written in 1744...
October 17, 2020, 8:42 AM · This is why the hive mind rules.
October 17, 2020, 10:01 AM · That is some darn impressive identification. :-)
October 17, 2020, 11:10 PM · Not for someone from Sweden ;-)
October 18, 2020, 7:52 AM · The mind boggles however at the video...
Edited: October 18, 2020, 11:56 AM · IMSLP has 50 pieces by Roman 1694-1758, making him a reasonably prolific late-Baroque composer. The pieces include the 24-mvt Drottningholms suite (with several recordings thereof), a couple of recorded violin concertos, a sonata in G min for either violin or oboe, and a collection of pieces for violin solo which is in next-to-illegible manuscript, so the best of luck with that one!
October 19, 2020, 5:19 AM · I did look up the score and found that the movement in question is scored for strings plus trumpets, horns and oboe, none of which are being used in the sample in the video. And I also couldn't find exactly the passage being played, at least in the first movement.

Is that piece often played without the trumpets/horns/oboe?

October 19, 2020, 12:59 PM · As well as the numerous Assaggi. Roman is one of the most prolific baroque composers of solo violin music.
October 19, 2020, 2:05 PM · As Mattias said this piece is world famous in Sweden and is being played frequently. Any school orchestra here will have played at least parts of it. And arrangements have been made for many different settings.
Edited: October 19, 2020, 11:30 PM · David - if you ignore the wind (the upper staffs) you will see that it is played just about as written.
It is the first movment from the start.

And the Assagi is just lovely music for solo violin. Some quite difficult to play, but most is very playable.

October 23, 2020, 1:04 PM · For those who don’t know, google app can now identify tunes played back. You could play the tune you want to identify on another device and google will search for it from the app.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe