Well worth the 9 minutes

Edited: October 10, 2020, 8:35 PM ·

Hadelich gives a master class to his 13-year old self. If you haven't seen this already, heartily recommend it--very instructive and inspiring no matter where you are on the violin journey. If the link above does not work, just search Ask Augustin 31 on YouTube.

Replies (5)

Edited: October 12, 2020, 4:42 PM · Youtube also has a convenient "share" feature; if you select "embed" and copy the text into a message here, it's easier to see and get to. [Edit: Done since - remark left for any other readers.]

I like the idea of "masterclass for my younger self", recognizing and admitting one's shortcomings, but I don't think it warrants the facepalms as such - to imagine that it might have been better then, without the additional work it took would have been vain. (And he let his earlier self off with a few intonation issues, though perhaps that's a kindness for all of us.) It is inspirational, even if it is in part a humbling, daunting demand of perfection.

I liked that he mentioned that he doesn't know what his future self might think of the present. Personally I'd hope for one that isn't continuing to raise technical issues, but one of a perspective gained in making new music.

October 10, 2020, 10:43 PM · That was a gas. More top soloists should do that. Leila Josefowicz and her Boston Pops debut, for example. That would be fun to see her critique her own playing.

As for Hadelich, what a difference in those octaves. Wow.

October 11, 2020, 3:51 PM · That was fascinating. Thanks for sharing!
October 11, 2020, 8:38 PM · The interesting thing to me was that the main issue he felt was missing from his 13-year-old playing (besides having half the technique then that he has now) was the phrasing of his suspensions. That's not something I would have noticed had he not pointed it out. How about you?
October 15, 2020, 2:09 PM · The other thread on Hadelich was retired ahead of schedule.
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=4568

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe