Mozart's concerts recorded on his personal violin

Edited: October 14, 2020, 7:49 AM · I’ve stumbled upon this video on YouTube which is a trailer for a recent album release of a collection of Mozart's violin concertos. The twist is that they have been recorded on Mozart's very own instrument!
Maybe it is just my ignorance, but I had never heard of one of his full-sized violins surviving to this day, let alone in such pristine condition. It sounds rather nice, so I figured it might be appreciated here:

I do wonder, being very uneducated in this regard: is there a reason to record the concerts using a baroque bow rather than a classical bow? I have never heard of playing Mozart with a baroque bow and can’t quite imagine doing it myself…

Replies (18)

Edited: October 10, 2020, 10:56 PM · https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/18565/

I have read that the "classical" bow was developed by Francois Tourte around 1785, just 6 years before Mozart died. So it is reasonable that he might have used a bow of Baroque or Transitional design.

October 10, 2020, 10:33 PM · Mozart would have adored Codabow.
October 11, 2020, 9:30 AM · A classical bow is not quite the same as a Tourte bow (which became the blueprint for the 'modern' bow). An example of a classical (also known as a transitional bow) is the London maker John Dodd. It is very likely in the second half of the 18th century players were playing on a mixture of bows. Some musicians, perhaps the older ones, may have been using what we would recognise as a baroque bow, some the later 18th century transitional bow. It is not impossible that Mozart came across an early style of Tourte bow due to his touring of Paris. Also worth baring in mind Paganini preferred not to play on Tourte style bows; the later part of the 18th century and early 19th century very much being a period of experimentation before the Tourte became the default model.
October 11, 2020, 1:17 PM · Mozart's bow would have been matched to his violin for sound.
October 11, 2020, 3:58 PM · Paul that is a big emphasis in the modern violin world. Do you have any citations for it being a focus in Mozart's period? I have seen a few quotes from correspondence about violins, but sadly little about bows.
Edited: October 11, 2020, 6:17 PM · Might be interesting to hear his violin and viola in concert. When Mozart died, I believe a viola (but not a violin) was in his possessions. He loved to play the viola and wrote some great music for it.
Edited: October 13, 2020, 2:28 PM · There was a very interesting interview with the violinist Christoph Konsz, the performer on this violin, on the CBC radio program "As It Happens", a few days ago. I believe the instrument was a Klotz. You can listen to it (and read about it) here: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-monday-edition-1.5759572/this-musician-recorded-mozart-s-concertos-on-the-composer-s-original-violin-1.5759573
October 13, 2020, 2:39 PM · Correction -- this violin is a 1764 Pietro Antonio Dalla Costa.
October 13, 2020, 4:43 PM · I am a bit confused, Parker, since I had read a German interview about the whole project, too, where it was said that this particular instrument comes from Mittenwald, which would fit the Klotz-tag, more or less? I can't seem to find this specific link, but this radio interview here also mentions that this violin is from around 1710.
I hope that Google Translate is good enough at this point to give anyone interested a basic understanding of what the text says.

https://www.swr.de/swr2/musik-klassik/christoph-koncz-spielt-auf-mozarts-geige-104.html

Edited: October 13, 2020, 9:32 PM · Thanks, Benjamin. Now I'm confused again, & curious. The blog on this website, "For the Record", described the violin as a 1764 Dalla Costa (https://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/202010/28499/), but an article which ran in The Guardian, and the German interview you cite, both say Mittenwald 1710, which as you point out would likely indicate Klotz. Hope somebody can clarify this.
October 13, 2020, 6:07 PM · I assume more than 1 violin has been attributed to Mozart.
Edited: October 13, 2020, 9:34 PM · I've checked further. According to the violinist Christoph Koncz, in his interview with The Strad magazine (October 9), the latest theory is that this violin was made in Mittenwald at the beginning of the 18th century by Aegidius Klotz. This is consistent with what Benjamin reported above. For more details, here is a link to The Strad article: https://www.thestrad.com/lutherie/what-is-it-like-to-play-wolfgang-amadeus-mozarts-own-violin/11309.article
October 14, 2020, 2:40 AM · Ah, but what brand of strings? And are they still performing well?
October 14, 2020, 7:34 AM · The sound in the short youtube fragment that Benjamin mentioned in the beginning is very sweet!
October 14, 2020, 11:05 AM · Stephen in the video he says he put on a new set of gut strings, but no brand specified.
October 14, 2020, 12:20 PM · In the picture he's got Eudoxa G and d, and plain gut a and e, wound d is not authentic for the time period. And Eudoxa is not a historical baroque string.
Edited: October 14, 2020, 1:18 PM · You could use a wound gut G like Eudoxa for historical performance. Some players started using them for the G in the 18th century with unwound plain gut D,A, and E.
October 14, 2020, 1:39 PM · A Eudoxa wound gut G is not made like a historical string suppliers wound gut G, it has a layer of silk inside I think. If you want a cheap baroque G you can use Eudoxa but a proper G like Gamut will be more authentic, but more costly.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe