Kabalewski Concerto third movement note

Edited: October 9, 2020, 9:54 AM · Slightly obscure question. Does anyone know if the first note of figure 13 in the third movement should be a C (instead of an E in my Peters edition)? The same moment at figure 3 is a C, and the harmony of the orchestra hasn't changed (C major second inversion).

If anyone has a different edition to Peters let me know. Thanks.

Replies (8)

October 9, 2020, 11:33 AM · I have a photocopy that must have been from my Russian violin teacher back in the day and the part that's not in Cyrillic says edited by Oistrakh. The notes are as you quoted from Peters. I assume it's meant to be different for the purpose of making the theme restatement different. The first time lands on a satisfying C and the second time, you "hang" there with the E, feeling imperfect, before following with a perfect authentic cadence right before figure 14 and another orchestral interlude. My theory is a bit rusty but that's my interpretation.
October 9, 2020, 11:40 AM · Possibly. I have a recording which I tried to listen to, but the chord is so loud in the orchestra you can't really hear it.
October 9, 2020, 11:50 AM · Well, if you can't even hear it, then...
Just play whatever note you want.
October 9, 2020, 1:47 PM · Indeed, but learning it as a teaching piece for the future where students will play with the piano.
October 9, 2020, 2:24 PM · Well, still, it's one note. Classical musicians are the only ones who could so labor over one note ^-^
October 10, 2020, 5:34 AM · Just play what's written since it appears the same in more than one edition.
October 10, 2020, 12:43 PM · I suppose the other tack would be to chase down an Oistrakh pupil and see if they had a correction made to their part when studying it. Victor Yampolsky is one, I think. Do we know of others? Or their students?
October 10, 2020, 6:43 PM · I found what is labeled as an Oistrakh recording on YouTube and he at least plays the E as written in his edition.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe