Fiddle is Finicky

October 6, 2020, 2:58 PM · I have a student West German factory violin made in the late 1960’s. I have noticed that the sound deteriorates whenever there’s a slight (as little as 1 mm) tilt in the angle of the bridge toward the fingerboard. The bridge is positioned so the back of both feet are at 19.5 cm from the point where the neck meets the shoulder on both sides, and the vibrating string length is 32.8 cm when optimal. The bridge feet are flat against the top at this position.
Is it typical for such a small variation of the string length to make such a noticeable difference in the sound?
Would moving the bridge slightly toward the tailpiece (and the sound post) make the fiddle less finicky?

Replies (2)

October 6, 2020, 4:29 PM ·
When your bridge tilts, the downward pressure on the top by the bridge feet is redistributed, and hence the energy transfer from the strings to the top is going to be different. Small movements of the bridge can greatly impact tone.

The solution to your problem is simply to keep your bridge straight so it does not tilt. This will also save your bridge from warping.

October 6, 2020, 5:21 PM · Well George, I will keep a close eye on the angle of my bridge.
Thanks for the advice.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe