MyPianist

September 30, 2020, 7:39 PM · We have recently come across this accompaniment app., piano accompaniment only. My daughter is enjoying it, cheaper than Cadenza Live and so far less glitchy. AI, so follows soloist.

Replies (19)

September 30, 2020, 8:05 PM · What do you mean by "less glitchy"? I found early versions of Cadenza (pre-Cadenza Live) prone to the occasional crash, but I generally found the way it follows to be true-to-life for orchestral accompanying, including when it could or could not follow.
Edited: September 30, 2020, 9:13 PM · We have had issues with Cadenza, but always used phone, should try
with newer iPad acquired since COVID. MyPianist is 29$ a year, Cadenza 29$
a month.
Still, will try again at some point for orchestra, just thougt I would alert people to MyPianist existence....
October 1, 2020, 4:24 AM · Oh my god, is there a reason all this type of apps are iOS only?
October 1, 2020, 7:33 AM · Urban, yes, the reason is very simple. If you can afford $29 a month for a music accompanying app, it means you are a Person of Means and you should only have the most expensive phones, which are mostly iPhones.
Edited: October 1, 2020, 7:48 AM · Yes Cadenza is pricey, hence (in part) the post.
29$ a year is more reasonable. We have stepped in and out of
Cadenza depending on the piece daughter is working on. In COVID time, this has not been an indulgence, but a necessity. No access to accompanist.
We are not well off, but only Apple in our home as we are visual artists and it’s always been the superior product. Plus wife is in art academia where it seems to be standard.
The person who runs MyPianist was very helpful when contacted by email.
Juho Pohjonen. (Apparently well known pianist?) Nice guy.
Edited: October 1, 2020, 1:45 PM · Urban:

There are two primary reasons
1. It's a pain in the *** to develop and maintain Android apps, relative to iOS. Because Android devices and OS are all over the place, you have more variables to account for.

2. On average, iOS users monetize better.

October 1, 2020, 1:58 PM · Don't say "MyPianist" more than three times fast.
October 1, 2020, 8:56 PM · This looks like it has a lot of potential, though the list of rep right now isn't particularly comprehensive. Is the person who runs it open to rep suggestions?
Edited: October 1, 2020, 10:15 PM · The best rep from a business standpoint is the stuff that gets played the most. Think Seitz, Accolay, Vivaldi. Mozart 3 is a stretch.
Edited: October 2, 2020, 1:09 AM · I know very few people around here with apple products - a lot less ubiquitous in Europe I think. Or at least in my part of it.

Anyway, with regards to the limited repertoire, shouldn't it be easy enough to have stand in midi recordings of more obscure accompaniments until you get an actual recording? It wouldn't sound very good, but it would still be good for practising.

I also wonder if these apps are all made on the same accompaniment engine from some research paper or something like that. In which case, it may be possible to make a less polished version of this for home use... without an apple device :)
(Nothing really against apple, but I buy cheap phones.)

Edited: October 2, 2020, 1:17 AM · This seems like a base for such a thing though it is made as an iOS app:
https://github.com/adamnemecek/ScoreFollower
October 2, 2020, 6:05 AM · Can you use an apple device as a phone too? I’ll have to start doing that.
October 2, 2020, 7:32 AM · Susan, yes he is. Will send you his email through IG. App was recommended to us by Soovin Kim.

October 5, 2020, 8:08 AM · Sorry, didn't mean to clog the forum with 3 identical posts.
Edited: October 5, 2020, 8:18 AM · It’s very easy to do..

Edited this post to add that I had to delete 3 of them

October 5, 2020, 8:19 AM · Because of COVID, we find ourselves relying on these apps fo performing
and masterclasses. Both apps occasionally glitch- stopping or losing track.
Maybe our lack of knowledge, too. But I am surprised at the limited instructions on the apps and the lack of in depth YouTube instruction, assistance. They are great to play around with, but scary to depend on for live performance. Taped accompaniment has its own issues of rigidity, tempo, etc.
Daughter has a masterclass with Midori on Zoom in a couple weeks, so struggling with how best to do this. We don’t have access during these times to someone to do a personal recording.
I like that Cadenza has some pieces with orchestra but MyPianist has seemed more stable. That could be totally my own limitations.

October 6, 2020, 11:28 AM · Lydia, let me explain. I regarded Your professional activity on web technologies when you wrote about that a few years ago.

The sad thing about this, is I do care, but this is the way they end the story of the flying staccato house techno. I mean Ibiza style (check it out).

Paul, I did learn to count, but the wrong way. So, I think you're too much indiscriminate to people offending you, and I am not telling anything.

There is something seriously wrong. I'm just drawing conclusions (explaining myself).

Regarding the other thread, I think obsessiveness is not good. Technologies are okay, in these times, meaning that cultural dispositions and lunatics were deployed, and spread across the globe, hiding the pieces of the puzzle. I know about that.

So, I recommend you try to get the chords from Neil Young's cortez the killer, then do a bit of effect, then see if the notes are ok.... you'll get it.

A hint: am9, and it is a dmaj13, alternate it. Then you get the intonation too. Don't worry. If it's too much, try the effects. Then get back.

Anyway, I think spending money (I'm just normal now) on music software is a waste.

cheers, Krisztian

October 7, 2020, 4:33 PM · Hey Mathew!

Regarding the comment on the daughter..... well... I just realized a lot of things.

But you'll go crazy if I tell you.....

First, I think you should try a licence from Switzerland. One of the cantons may have something to do with that. This might not make sense now, but trust me.

Red hat is the best disribution, forget iOS, but that comes with a small fee, but then you have accesa to centOS too. You can run a lot of software in a similar way. Don't bother to ask what kind of dark theories are around about that, I just had a glimpse of the software revolution.

Well, topic was about shoulder injury, some people have a problem, me too. But, it is not related to violin. You might have cramps, and so, but why always having a problem with the spine?

Anyway, on another thread, I mentioned a certain Neil Young chord sequence. Very very dark sounding. I think that sound might have something to do with the secrets of the Inca, or Aztec calendars, that is, probably that is the most advanced astronomical structure on the planet, and the musical tradition from that area probably guards some of those dark secrets....

Told you you'll go crazy..... Actually I'm pretty sure about that now....

Anyway, I know lots of people have lots of questions about whether becoming a professional or not. I'm like 41 now, and perhaps this might help.

I'm from Europe, and the educational system is different (we had to rote learn useless information, instead of learning useful vocabulary and critical thinking, but then again, math is better here. I know, because I was in the U.S. for a year when I was like 12, and nobody understood how I got 100% for a math test. I'm not a genius, actually I learned exactly that on the test just a year before.

So, I chose to follow faculty of biology after high school here in Budapest, and that would've been ok. I did not want to be a biologist, but I know people who are doing fine making music and living as smallfarmers (eco farm) with that degree. What I want to say is that violin is very difficult. You cannot force it, or rush it, and lots of tension can arise from pressure to be good at it. You have to like it. Then who knows?

Anyway, I had to work at a student job in a library, and I actually cheated on chemistry, I had no energy left (that faculty was similar to medicine) for learning that. The other subject I cheated on was zootaxonomy, but that was the rote learning of the classification of different bugs. Who cares?

But then, I could not understand chemistry 2, nonlinear puffer solutions. The obvious way would've been (that's how I got lost) to ignore the puffer solution, and pass with the chemistry 1.

What I want to say, is that all I know from math (calculus), is what I learned at that faculty. And now I feel square to always just clean the house, buy food, and talk about axes.

????

Krisztian

October 11, 2020, 9:54 PM · Well. Someone's been smoking again.

I think you meant buffer solutions. Surely you could have cheated your way through that course too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe