Strings Advice

September 29, 2020, 4:55 PM · So I'm going to be recording some pieces in mid-October, and I was wondering when I should (or if I should) change my current set of regular Evah Pirazzis for the Gold Evah Pirazzis with a gold G string(I also have a gold e string from the regular EP set). I heard that the break in time for the EP Golds is quite short so I'm not sure when I should switch them on.

Also, I'll be playing Mozart 4, Lalo Symphonie Espagnole and some Solo Bach. I've never used any strings other than the regular EP, so I'm not sure how the Golds sound on my violin. I also heard that the Gold G string offers a warmer tone. Is this tone shift appropriate for my repetoire? Should I take this risk? Thanks for any help or advice!!

Replies (9)

Edited: September 29, 2020, 6:04 PM · You have ample time to change, but perhaps you should not, so close to the recording, if you are happy with your sound. It also depends on what your violin prefers-for some people, the EP Gold gold-wound G has been a bit muddier, some may prefer it. The price is higher, but that does not mean it will be better for your needs. If I was in your position, I would wait to experiment after the recording, and at most would get a fresh, new EP (green) with the exact same type of E you are using a week before this event takes place-familiarity with something that already works begets more playing confidence.

If your regular EP are "hard to play" (though you may be used to them by now), try weich gauge, though those may yield a brighter tone. EP Gold are just slightly less tense/heavy, so regular weich EP have a theoretical easier response than EP Gold.

Still, mid-october is coming up quickly-especially if it is for an audition, I would stick to the devil you know well until then. EP can be made to sound great after all.

September 29, 2020, 6:41 PM · Adalberto's advice is good. Don't change string brands right before a major event. If you want to experiment with EPGs, do that right now; I'd start with the silver G rather than the gold G. They should still sound fine a month from now, assuming you're not playing six hours a day. If you are and they are starting to sound tired, change them one week before the recording day. If you don't like the sound, immediately return to a set of green EPs; if you need to change them again a week before the recording, do so.

If you can't afford to possibly need to buy two sets of strings (or even three sets) in close succession, stick with your EPs and put on a new set a week or two before the audition.

September 29, 2020, 10:13 PM · Thank you for your replies! I think I'll just put on a fresh set of strings next week so I have a bit of time before the recording session. Thank you again!
September 30, 2020, 5:00 AM · Why does the price of the violin have anything to do with what strings should be used? Different sets of strings, in different price ranges, will have different sounds on any violin. Some may be better, some may be worse. Only the violinist playing the instrument and any experts he/she asks to listen can know for sure what sounds best on that particular instrument.

I don't think it's possible to be as cut-and-dried as this list of violin prices/string prices indicates.

Edited: September 30, 2020, 7:06 AM · Strings for 3USD? I've reported the post as SPAM, but it may simply be naive and based on a spreadsheet without sufficient limits.

Or they may be in India and strings are that cheap there.

Edited: September 30, 2020, 8:25 AM · Maybe I'm digging too much...

Don't project your performance anxiety on to your instrument. Then there will always be some minor flaw that will plague your mind. There's nothing to it---just use the same strings you always do and change them a bit before the session. In the meantime, focus on yourself.

September 30, 2020, 9:06 AM · That's a good point. Thanks for the advice.
September 30, 2020, 9:32 AM · The Violy App definitely is spam, thanks for letting me know. They keep trying to post spam under various names.
September 30, 2020, 11:47 AM · I don't see how that's possible. We all just use our real names here, don't we?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe