3D printing

September 23, 2020, 7:56 AM · Hello,

Does 3D printing have any applications to violin design/construction? If so, what is being explored/investigated?

Replies (17)

September 23, 2020, 7:58 AM · There is a company making 3d printed mutes.
September 23, 2020, 8:37 AM · http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=3d+printed+violin
September 23, 2020, 10:32 AM · I'm not sure what your concept of a message board is, Gordon, but I don't see this post meriting such a smug response. Maybe I'm not the one to talk, but usually your posts are kinder than this.
September 23, 2020, 10:43 AM · Someone has 3D printed a violin, a simple google search will lead to tons of results.
Edited: September 23, 2020, 11:19 AM · Sometimes I have lapses in judgement. Combination of that and 3-D printer cynicism. If you want one big enough to print a violin, it will probably cost more than a good violin. Someone somewhere is probably trying to print a cello or a double bass. In addition, they are going to be made from crappy materials.
Edited: September 23, 2020, 12:03 PM · Actually, within the last two to six years, someone on this forum DID print a violin on a 3D printer and demonstrated it, commenting that it did sound "like a violin".
September 23, 2020, 12:36 PM · 3d printed chinrest or shoulder rest, maybe?
September 23, 2020, 12:53 PM · Wiessmeyer and Son are making 3-D printed mutes that are getting a lot of attention. I have also seen a sound post setting and measuring tool that can be printed.
September 23, 2020, 2:17 PM · Ella is absolutely right! I had the pleasure of participating in the experimental development of a 3d printed chinrest at our school together with a design student and enjoyed it a lot! Without giving away the details of the approach, we found a form that fit me very well and iterated it a couple of times with slight changes. It was way cheaper than ordering custom made chinrests from luthiers before figuring out the perfect form, while the negative effects on the sound were very minor. It was thinner and lighter, too and was the first chinrest to ever fit my square and edgy jaw. We experimented with the height, side- and centre-mount and even the direction of the print (since it affects the structure of the material's surface).
I had plans of trying to figure out a fitting form for a 3d printed shoulder rest, too, and would've acted on it, had I not found a more adjustable and better sounding alternative around the same time.
It is, however, definitely not of much help for any kind of mass production. The main advantage really is in the autonomy for inventive people who lack the skills to craft their prototypes out of wood.
September 23, 2020, 2:19 PM · Perhaps 3D printed molds and stencils to make an exact replica of a famous violin? I'm no expert so maybe one of our luthiers can comment on whether this could be an application for 3D printing
September 23, 2020, 2:38 PM · yeah an exact replica of a wood violin made out of plastic, how exact is that???
September 23, 2020, 3:10 PM · Lyndon, to clarify, I meant the 3D printer could be used to make molds, stencils, templates etc. as tools to make replica wood violins. That way the molds can follow precise dimensions. Just a thought really, again I'm not claiming to have any expertise in violin making.
September 23, 2020, 4:12 PM · dunno about 3D printers, but i seen some pretty cool CNC milled violins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EANG5Z2Z02Q&ab_channel=TwoCherriesInstruments

Edited: September 23, 2020, 4:35 PM · Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into those mutes.
I have to admit I don't know much about 3D printing. But maybe it's being looked at for electric violins? They seem vary in shape a lot.
September 24, 2020, 3:14 PM · One of the most succesful applications of 3D printing of violins is with electrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0pOUBS3sg
September 24, 2020, 7:04 PM · If you can 3D print an edible burger paddy (someone did it with petri-dish grown meat protein!), the sky's the limit!
September 24, 2020, 7:19 PM · Edible 3d printed violin?!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe