About Violin: Six Lessons With Yehudi Menuhin missing parts (via Youtube)

September 19, 2020, 4:53 AM · Does anyone has missing parts of violin 6 lessons by Yehudi Menuhin. I've been self practicing for a while to get better posture and tone by follow every instructions in Menuhin's tutorials video clips via Youtube and it gets better everyday. I wondered if anyone has a completed version of parts 4 (Right hand playing),5 (Left hand playing) and 6 (Left and right hand coordination) or should I buy a book version of this lessons. Thanks for helps and sorry for my bad English writing.

Here the sample link of Violin six lessons by Yehudi Menuhin
This is a link to Youtube.com

Replies (8)

September 20, 2020, 4:57 AM · The book is amazing, especially the chapters on bowing, where Menuhin had the most problems.

I think one can still track down the DVD's (made from the original VHS cassettes). Which of course are copyright!

September 20, 2020, 9:06 AM · I saw all of the videos on Utube years ago - shame if they are down. However, as Adrian said, you really can get a lot of the info from the original book. That said, it has taken me many years to understand parts of it - in particular what may be the most interesting, the action of the left thumb (without an SR). It finally makes sense!

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the technical instructions are related to how to play without an SR. While they very informative they are yet difficult to follow and you may end up thinking that his method only works for his particular anatomy. After 9 years of working on it I now understand them! But I suspect that for the average player it may take that long to adapt the body to the method. I would love to hear other SR-less player's opinions.

September 20, 2020, 10:32 AM · I have not Elise's patience!
While I follow most of his advice on the left hand (e.g. The Gap between index and fingerboard) my thumb bones and joints do not allow this without support from the shoulder..

It's pity he says so little about vibrato, although my approach stems directly from his swinging and wave motions.

After follwing the bowing chapters closely, I began to sound a bit like him, which is remarkable for a purely written account.

September 20, 2020, 4:40 PM · LOL! I see my post was a bit ambiguous. I didn't mean to say I spent 9 years working on the book but on playing without an SR (much of that time was related to tweaking it, not making it possible).

Perhaps you did not read enough about the action of the thumb Adrian? As I recall, there is a short segment where he shows the thumb actively rotating the neck. That was one of the mysteries for me. The key is that the violin is alive on your collarbone and, yes, that DOES mean the occasional shoulder contact. It sounds like heresy but why should there be a Cardinal Sin to use your shoulder? Its just a part of your body interacting with the instrument. What would be wrong is to keep the shoulder in contact, its a transient action that is only sometimes required.

September 20, 2020, 4:54 PM · As much as I would love to take Menuhin's advice about set-up, I find it much more fruitful to study Tossy Spivakovsky's set-up.
September 21, 2020, 2:41 AM · Thanks a lot for great suggestions, I've searched everywhere for his DVD but end up with only his book and I think I'll order one. If anyone can track the seller of his DVD version that will be so helpful. I've practice his exercises everyday for 4 months now and it helps me a lot, his teaching free me from my old vision to the violin, never felt so free so relax like this before. Or if you guys could suggest me an alternative bow hand teaching that's can related or nearly the same to his exercises it will be wonderful with all due respect.
September 21, 2020, 2:53 AM · Paul you can find them second-hand on videotape, then you can have these digitized. For example, googling for [menuhin six lessons "vhs"] I got this result:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sir-Yehudi-Menuhin-Violin-Lessons-VHS-Videos-Set-Of-3-/154019628455

Edited: September 21, 2020, 4:13 AM · Wow this is what I need thank you Jean. But so sad all items I found not shipping to Thailand TT.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe