Does anyone know where to get an online bow repair?

September 18, 2020, 10:33 PM · Hello everyone!

I am in dire need of a re-hair for my viola bow, but unfortunately due to the pandemic situation, I am unable to go in person to get this done. I am currently using a spare ~ $100 carbon fiber bow for the time being.

Does anyone know a good place to get my bow re-haired through the mail?

Replies (19)

September 18, 2020, 10:38 PM · Try Jerry Pacewitz unsure about the spelling, anyone to correct me??
September 18, 2020, 10:43 PM · Thank you Lyndon for the suggestion! Is this the website you were referring to: https://www.netrehair.com ?
September 18, 2020, 10:54 PM · That's his site. Lyndon it's Pasewicz (Jerry's local to us).
September 18, 2020, 11:58 PM · thank you, that's it.
September 19, 2020, 7:15 AM · I'm sure your local shop/bow maker is capable of handling work via shipment. If you've been happy with their work, I suggest supporting your local craftspeople first. Jerry does a great job and his service is easy to use. There are several additional bow makers that accept work by mail across the country. What part of the country do you live in?
September 19, 2020, 7:34 AM · Josh Henry does excellent rehairs and offers online repair and repair service.
September 19, 2020, 7:45 AM · Years ago, when I lived in the Mojave Desert (30 - 60 years ago), I sent my bows away for all their rehairs. I found it best to use sources with a similar climate to mine. Those places, like Michigan or Oklahoma had too different climates and my bow hair would too often not be the optimum length.

In other words, as Anthony suggested, have it done close to home!

September 19, 2020, 8:10 AM · I agree with Andy Victor about getting a rehair from someone in your climate.

So, if you're in the general vicinity of Washington DC, I second the recommendation of Josh Henry.

September 19, 2020, 9:53 AM · On Jerry's site, the form you fill out asks "For the sake of accurate hair length - in what city/state is the bow primarily played? Additionally, do you have any upcoming concerts abroad or in a different location?"
September 19, 2020, 2:01 PM · Thanks for all the helpful responses so far! I'm currently living in the South Georgia/North Florida region.
September 19, 2020, 3:53 PM · So avoid Arizona!
September 20, 2020, 7:14 AM · Check out my friend and fellow bow maker, Amelyse Arroyo, her website is http://arroyohome.com/arroyobows/, she's a great bow maker that's located in Gainesville, Florida and has been working with both Rodney Mohr and David Forbes for quite some time. You'll be very happy with her rehairs!
September 20, 2020, 7:59 AM · Josh Henry does great work. Please note that he has recently relocated to West Virginia, so if you have done business with him be aware that shipping times may have changed.
Edited: September 20, 2020, 10:26 PM · Charles Town WV is very close to Washington. Mr. Henry is not getting deliveries to his business by mule team.
September 20, 2020, 10:50 PM · No, the trusted and true USPS?????
September 20, 2020, 11:57 PM · Humm, what's the difference between dropping off your bow at the post office/UPS/whatever vs dropping it at your local luthier, assuming you normally deal locally?
September 21, 2020, 12:12 AM · with the drop off you know its there, with the post office you can only hope it gets delivered and that might be up to Trump!!
September 21, 2020, 1:19 AM · I ordered an item in eBay from the other side of melbourne 2 weeks ago. Normally it would take 1-2 hours there and back by car, and 1- 2 days by Australia Post, delivered to a collection point near me.
It took over 10 days, and with our current lockdown, it was considered faster to send it via Sydney
September 21, 2020, 10:00 AM · I shipped my violin to Potter's and back. No big deal.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe