Help with a new concerto

September 16, 2020, 10:54 AM · Hi everyone. My teacher wants me to choose a new concerto ( just the 1st mov) and I said that I would do a researche and then I would tell her. However, I really don't know what to play. I would like something not as difficult as Mozart #5 but not as easy as Beriot 9, kabalevsky, bach A minor or E major. I don't want any Bruch, Symphonie Espagnole... I would love to hear some of your suggestions. I accept something different, something that you don't listen too often.

Thank you!! <3

Replies (10)

Edited: September 16, 2020, 2:19 PM · What have you been playing?

Why not go to IMSLP.org and check out the scores (i.e, the violin parts to see what you can read)?

https://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerti

Edited: September 16, 2020, 11:24 AM · I've played bach A minor, Meditation Thais, Beethoven Spring Sonata, Schumann sonata 1, hungarian dance #5 and Bach solo ( sarabande d minor partita and gavotte en rondeau e major partita). I've done some of Kreutzer Etudes and I'm working on Fiorillo Caprices
Edited: September 16, 2020, 12:18 PM · They might be too much of a leap up, but Conus, Khachaturian, or Barber might be good options if you want something a bit less standard. The first movement of each is pretty straightforward. Slightly easier would be Accolay and Rode #7, but Accolay may be too easy.
September 16, 2020, 12:59 PM · I think Viotti 22 would be a good choice. Vieuxtemps 2, which is a bit harder than the Viotti, wouldn't be bad, although it's not taught that often.
September 16, 2020, 2:20 PM · I agree with Christian about that Viotti. It is really beautiful music.
September 16, 2020, 2:41 PM · Given what you're played, Kabalevsky actually seems like a good idea. Spohr 8, and DeBeriot 7 or DeBeriot 1, or the DeBeriot Scene de Ballet, might also be in the right ballpark. Conus is a step up in difficulty.
September 16, 2020, 3:22 PM · I find conus and vieuxtemps 2 kinda difficult. Khachaturian is cool, but it's a bit large... I liked Rode #7 and Spohr #8. However, Spohr's cadenza scares me XD
September 16, 2020, 4:25 PM · Spohr's cadenza for No. 8 is not too difficult, but playing the whole concerto at a good artistic level is. Practice thirds well (you *need* them anyway.)

I agree the Vieuxtemps #2 is deceptively difficult. Deemed just a "student" work because some students play it (much like Lalo is a "student" work... it is nothing of the sort, though the 1st mvmt is much more doable for you.)

I love Viotti's 22nd, but it is a classical style concerto, and has an unfair reputation among young musicians as just another "student work." Perhaps you have already crossed it out?

Since you liked the Rode 7, I would suggest you do that for now-that or the Viotti 22nd 1st mvmt with cadenza.

Enjoy, and know that all these works are worth learning at one point or another!

Best,

A

(I always find it ironic when some young and not-so-young players refuse to play "student" works, since in the end, we violinists are all "students" regardless our current "level"... IMHO.)

Edited: September 16, 2020, 9:51 PM · Another vote here for Viotti No. 22. Here's a great recording with the violin part showing on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1f7mK6USW8

If you want to do a Spohr concerto, I recommend No.2. It's not super long and there are just a FEW tenths.

And if Kabalevsky is easy, then usually people do Mozart 3 or Bruch (first movement) after that, no? You said you don't want Bruch but ... when will you want it?

September 21, 2020, 7:06 PM · I played Mozart 5 1st movement for my ALCM, having some five years earlier played 1st movement Mozart 3 for Grade 7, followed soon by Nardini for Grade 8 (I did so much better for Grade 7 than for Grade 8. My teacher thought at the time it was because I took Grade 8 too soon, but I wonder whether it was me finding the Grade 7 syllabus being so more inspiring musically (Mozart 3, Beethoven C minor slow movement, Bach Emajor Giga, as against Nardini, Delius Legend, and some study or other). If this seems a bit strange, let me explain that I had switched to viola for three or four years in between Grade 8 and ALCM.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe