College audition repertoire

September 14, 2020, 2:39 PM · Hello everybody. I have posted about this earlier but I wanted to get some more tips.
I want to try and apply for a conservatoire (the Royal College of Music in Stockholm) this spring, I just turned 17 years old and have just begun my last year of high school in Stockholm.
If I don't get in I will just attend a year at pre-college in Stockholm and try again next year.

What do you think of my repertoire? I think of applying with the Bruch Violin Concerto in G minor. I will play it with orchestra in a few weeks so I feel secure enough to play it well, for example the last movement. Also the first movement of Mozart 4, and something from Bach sonata 1 or partita 2. Maybe I will also play some sort of sonata or caprice from Wieniawski or similar (Scherzo-Tarantelle, Polonaise) but I haven't begun that yet.

Otherwise I am supposed to begin with Wieniawski concerto no 2 in a month but I don't think I have enough time to get it perfect since the auditions are only in 6 months. But maybe I should work on that instead of Bruch?

Thanks all!

Replies (3)

September 14, 2020, 3:04 PM · What it boils down to is play whatever you can play well. Having said that, 6 months seems more than long enough to learn the first movement of Wieniawski, assuming you are at the level you suggest you are. However, if you have to learn three new pieces in 6 months that might be too much.
September 15, 2020, 7:31 AM · I assume you're studying with an excellent teacher. I'd take their advice, since they presumably have experience getting students into good conservatories, and they know your playing better than anyone.

(And I envy your live rehearsals and performance!)

September 15, 2020, 10:01 AM · Doesn’t the school have a list of examples of what they require?
Sometimes, you need to play a certain amount of pieces from certain historic periods, or you need something like one etude, one Bach solo, one concerto, or whatever.
Then, keep the duration of your pieces in mind.
Once you know the requirements, I would go for whatever is easiest for you. So, why Wieniawski, if you have Bruch? An audition is always a great mental challenge, and it is really relieving to have a piece at hands that you even played with orchestra, so you feel naturally confident with it. The third movement is a bit more a virtuoso- piece, so you might use it to show off, a little bit.
Your repertoire is okay, when you play it well, but it is is not that of some technical prodigy who plays Tchaikovsky- concerto at your age. So go for musical expression and elaborate sound production, instead, and they should be happy to work with you.

Good luck!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe