Competition Repertoire

September 14, 2020, 1:08 PM · I am looking to do a small violin competition at some point in the near future, and I'm not entirely sure what to play, I would like to learn a new piece although I do have some other pieces I could play. What pieces would be around the same level or a little harder than Accolay, Thais Meditation, and Corelli La Folia. Around 4-6 minutes.

Replies (4)

September 14, 2020, 1:22 PM · What is the target level for competitors in this competition? What have the past few winners played? What does your teacher think?

1st movement of DeBeriot #9, Allegro Brillante by Ten Have, possibly Scene de Ballet by DeBeriot (that one is a little harder), come to mind. Viotti #23 first movement is about the same level as Accolay. Kabalevsky Concerto, 1st movement, is a little more difficult and also might be on the slightly long side.

Edited: September 14, 2020, 1:36 PM · I have seen past winners play pieces in a very broad spectrum of difficulty(Haydn-mendelssohn level).
Edited: September 14, 2020, 7:04 PM · Another vote for DeBeriot No. 9. Haydn G Major is a nice piece but it's not snazzy enough. The little Kuchler cadenza that is usually included might bring it up a little but I still think DeBeriot will show your skills more, presuming you can play it well.

One thing about Accolay and LaFolia is that the double-stops are quite limited. You are ready to start practicing scales in thirds and you should. Ask your teacher about that. I don't know of any *single* exercise that's helped my playing more.

September 14, 2020, 7:27 PM · I can currently play most of my scales in thirds . ;)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe