Tchaikovsky Mediitation

September 13, 2020, 7:48 PM · Whose interpretation do you like better and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIAq0mbz-c&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3Djk2zjsSu7Y8VWCSn-PCc2eB1zThodArvFqVQ_2WsuNnMJ4QHL3VKzo4

Or:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQ_lMD3-PY

Or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGA3o5_EuzY

Replies (6)

September 13, 2020, 10:33 PM ·
Edited: September 14, 2020, 5:10 AM · Kogan, Kim, Bell (I miss this work so much... endless pathos...)

I think Kogan's version would hold up excellently well in the "modern" stage. Beautiful phrasing, vibrato, and musical ideas, and tasteful use of expressive slides. Definitely amazing contrasts, tempo, it is just excellent.

Ms. Kim is ravishing in her playing and phrasing, but could be less afraid of sounding "too old" or "inaprropriate". It would have been perfect otherwise. It sounds really good, and she is a great player.

All of them are good, I just feel Kogan is really inspiring above. Another favorite is David Oistrakh.

(Must note again I do like many modern players, so please do not misconstrue my taste. Be well.)

September 14, 2020, 6:45 AM · First, Kogan, for all the excellent reasons already expressed;
second, Bell: in the close-up stereo category I like his more discrete vibrato.
Kim's is lovely too!
September 14, 2020, 9:40 PM · The differences to me are more subtle than my musical language, which is odd, because the subjective differences are so large that one might even think that they're different pieces.

It starts with the piano. I don't know what Holeksa (with Kim) meant, but the phrasing in the intro sounded odd to me. Maybe she meant it to be somewhat distinctive and less melodramatic, a contrast to Kim's playing. For the rest of the piece I didn't find anything odd, and her accompaniment well done. Koch's playing (with Bell) sounded heavier and less engaging to me, despite the lower lid. Mytnik's (with Kogan) was very fine playing, driving at times, though understated overall, and with the best ensemble between the two.

Kogan's performance, with Mytnik, seemed to me to carry authenticity and conviction one wishes was more common.

Kim's was a bit overdramatic for me at times, with the biggest vibrato, which is sometimes distracting. Technically very fine, but je ne sai quois. Bell's carried more conviction for me - maybe it was just more on the right side of not overstatement?

Subjectively, I loved Kogan and Mytnik's performance. I enjoyed Bell's and Koch's. Kim's and Holeksa's was impressive.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe