Oscar & Eric Shumsky Play Mozart Duos for Violin & Viola

Edited: September 10, 2020, 4:17 PM · Newly uploaded to YouTube, 2 wonderful friends of my family, Oscar and Eric Shumsky, playing some Mozart. I hope you enjoy this recording! I had the great pleasure of playing one of these Mozart duets with Eric a few summers ago:

Replies (11)

September 10, 2020, 4:50 PM · Lovely. Oscar Shumsky was an immensely capable violinist of which this recording reminds us once again.
Edited: September 10, 2020, 8:49 PM · I really am grateful for you linking us to this recording Nate. I've been working on both parts (just the first movement of the first Duo for now, of course), and hoping to record that "with myself" sometime, so it's wonderful to hear these two playing it -- like I never will of course. I did a little Googling and found that "father and son" also recorded the Sinfonia Concertante.
September 11, 2020, 6:59 PM · Jean & Paul, I’m glad you liked it! Yes, Shumsky had a special way with Mozart and Bach in particular, which I think is some of the hardest music to play well. I have a flash drive of some of his other unreleased material. So amazing! Sounds like a great project Paul! You should make a video and record both parts. Yes that’s right. They did also record the Sinfonia Concertante. I believe the only other ‘father and son’ recording of that work is by the Oistrakhs.

Edited: September 11, 2020, 8:26 PM · Nate my hope was to work on it with my teacher playing the other part because he also plays both violin and viola, so that I could learn how to get it in tune. It's just not quite the same as playing solo stuff, and it's Mozart so everything is very crystalline.

The problem with doing both parts myself and recording them is that when I listen to it, I can hear that something is wrong but it's hard to know which part is at fault. Maybe both are! As you can imagine that's slow going. I can't do the duets with my teacher right now because we're using Skype.

September 13, 2020, 8:03 AM · I have Oscar Shumsky's Ysaye Solo Sonatas on vinyl.A great master.
Strangely enough his violin, the exRode Strad was being sold at Heinls after he passed away.Why in Toronto?
September 13, 2020, 11:20 AM · Maybe the Russian oligarchs likely to purchase said instrument are more comfortable flying into Toronto than they are into New York or London these days...
September 13, 2020, 2:29 PM · Shumsky did two concerts with my orchestra in Boston. The Elgar, when he channeled Kreisler on occasion during rehearsals, and the Beethoven, which had some really magical moments. I still think my favorite recording of that is the one he did with the Curtis Orchestra back in the 30s, that appeared on Biddulph.
Edited: September 13, 2020, 3:51 PM · Possibly Paul.I remember Heinls also sold one of Janos Starker's cellos( an Amati if I remember correctly.It needed lots of repairwork).Perhaps Heinls takes a smaller percentage than other shops.Who knows?
September 13, 2020, 5:47 PM · Or maybe you can't have an auction in New York or London right now because of COVID restrictions. Who knows. Toronto is a civilized place too, that's for sure.
September 13, 2020, 6:59 PM · I remember hearing that Oscar was an accomplished machinist in the tool and die area.I always liked that because I too was about to do an apprenticeship as a tool and die maker(in retrospect maybe I should have...)
September 14, 2020, 12:55 PM · Thanks Nate,
this brings back fond memories of the two of them playing this as an encore after the Sinfonia Concertante in a concert with the SCO in the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh in the mid 1980s.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe